PDA

View Full Version : What Stock?

epanzella
12-16-2014, 09:07 AM
I'm building a smokeless ML and the donor action is a 111 with a det box mag. I would like to use a Boyd's thumbhole laminate but I don't need a mag well. Is there a different model long action that would work that has no mag well? I've been to the Boyd's site but don't know enough about the various Savage models to figure out what I need. Any help would be much appreciated.

jonbearman
12-18-2014, 07:40 PM
I would seriously think you would be better served by a McMillan or something like it. They are fairly light depending on fill and extremely rigid. My firend made 2 of them and the way they recoil I wouldn't want a wimpy stock fearing it would split as they have heavy recoil. Its just my opinion.

epanzella
12-18-2014, 09:12 PM
Boyds got back to me today. It seems they don't have a thumbhole with no mag well but I was able to order one with a blind well.

Jonbear, A laminated stock is essentially a piece of super strong plywood and is not prone to splitting. In any event, I won't be loading it much hotter than a factory Savage 10ML as I would probably split before the stock does.