PDA

View Full Version : Mounts for Savage 12 ?

Fotheringill
12-15-2014, 12:39 PM
I am new here and cannot post in the Savage or non-Savage Parts thread which is closed to me. Please move it somewhere more appropriate than here.

I just ordered a Savage 12 #18890 in .223 with target Accu-trigger and single shot action.

It has what Savage describes as the short action.

I have my Weaver style rings and a Weaver T-36 scope to mount on it.

Now to the question-

I am looking at the Weaver style bases. I THINK the Weaver #46 front and rear are what I need. Is that the correct base number?

foxx
12-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Welcome, and congratulations on a very fine rifle!

Yes, those mounts bases will fit the action, however, they are, beyond a doubt, the cheapest and worst choice for such a fine rifle!
How's THAT for a welcoming, "How do you do?" :)

Seriously, There are many choices available from steal to aluminum; from solid, one piece tactical (weaver or picatinny style) to combination, one-piece bases and rings, in a price range from $40 to $200. I am not going to recommend any particular set up here and now, but I would strongly recommend you avoid those particular bases. They are the $2 bases that are included on every cheap package rifle deal in America and the first thing that should be removed and tossed when one receives them (before the hanging price tag is cut from the trigger guard). The are not strong enough or durable enough to resist deforming and loosening your scopes mount.

Others here can weigh-in on base and mount recommendations...

Good luck! :)

Fotheringill
12-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Thank you for the welcome and input.

Rimfires, I know.
The price on the Savage bespeaks better than a $2.00 base.

I am a fish out of water on this and really would appreciate a recommendation(s) on better bases.