PDA

View Full Version : Choate Tactical barrel channel.

Lbass
12-14-2014, 07:05 PM
I've had this right handed Stevens 200 for awhile now. I bought it for playing with off the bench so I can use a bi-pod and cycle the bolt with my off hand. That said I'm not real concerned with weight but I would like to have the option to use it on coyote stands. I've pretty much ruled out the boyds "pro-varmint""tacticool"...I've seen a few posts of them cracking "chambering will be 300wsm with 215-230gr" and I'm not looking forward to adding pillars and bedding. Seems like after I did that I'ld have about the money invested that a choate would run.

With the choate will I still need to skim bed or the aluminum block enough?

I've looked through the build and picture threads and keep reading about how big the barrel channel is, but I couldnt find any close ups of the gap. What contour barrel would look decent. I was thinking light varmint would look ok and still light enough to pack.

What contour are you guys running and can you snap a picture of the gap between the stock and barrel?

Any advise appreciated. Lonnie

The best picture I found of the barrel channel was 65Impala's picture on page 24 of the custom pictures thread but it still hard to see.

D.ID
12-15-2014, 02:27 AM
The barrel channel in the choate is 1.25" so even with a 1" full bull you get 1/8" on each side of clearance and absolutely no chance of contact.
I run bull barrels, heavy varmint and even a magnum contour #5 in them and they all look great.
As far as the bedding block : It will be plenty as a stand alone bedding platform. It does not need bedded.
I did a full bedding job on one and run half a dozen without it and there is no difference.

Steelhead
12-15-2014, 06:42 PM
I run a Shilen #7 varmint in mine.
1/8th at the barrel and 3/16th at the end.
I didn't bed mine and accuracy is plenty good.
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo186/yellowheap/GJB/Pictures/DSCN0035_zps40a5e3ae.jpg (http://s374.photobucket.com/user/yellowheap/media/GJB/Pictures/DSCN0035_zps40a5e3ae.jpg.html)