PDA

View Full Version : New mod 11, 7mm08 spraying

stealthy1
12-14-2014, 03:08 PM
i just bought my wife the mod 11 TH in 7mm08, w/nikon 3x9x40 prostaff. when i shot it the first 4x at 25yd, all was fine. i was able to walk it on to bullseye very easy. then i moved to 100 yds, where my fist shot was slightly low left. I shot once more to see if it was grouping close before i moved any adjustments. It hit 5" high to the right. I thought that it must have been a fluke... the third forth and fifth shots were perfectly diagonal heading toward the bullseye. i was still yet to make any adjustment. So, I finally moved the adjustment a couple clicks left. the sixth shot hit 3" high and 2" left. i let it cool again. I moved the adj down 3 clicks and it hit 1" lower than last. I have sighted in many scopes and this dude will not get right. i am wondering if maybe i have a bad scope or if there is something else coming into play. i bought a bad simmons 10 yrs ago that acted simular. i bought this gun brand new from gander mountain, and when i opened the adj caps, i could see marks where someone has been cranking on it. is this where it was factory bore sighted or maybe a reject?

you guys think it is bad scope? or something wrong with the gun? any help is greatly appreciated.

keeki
12-14-2014, 03:15 PM
I'd check the rings and bases.

stealthy1
12-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Everything seems tight.The front thumb screw on the base was loose enough for me to break it free with my finger and thumb. Did not qualify as loose. I will pick up another box of ammo tomorrow. Should i try another brand?

this gun has a 20" barrel, should i expect it to spray after a few shots?

Jamie
12-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy. The first thing I do when buying a Savage rifle is to throw away the rings and bases as they are truly the cheapest ones available.

Being a sporter barrel I would expect it to move around some after 3 shots or so. That's fine on a hunting rifle as game rarely stay still for 3 shot groups.

keeki
12-15-2014, 09:02 AM
What bullets are you shooting and what's the twist rate of the barrel

mudpig
12-15-2014, 10:04 AM
I'd try different rings and scope as the 1st go around. My wife has a similar model 11 in 7-08 and it typically shoots 1.5 to 2 inch groups with cheap 140gr Winchester ammo; however, reloading with 140gr Barnes TSX over 48gr of Win760 produces sub 1/2 MOA on a regular basis, but the barrel does warm up pretty easily. Also make sure the flimsy Tupperware stock is not touching the barrel anywhere.

stealthy1
12-15-2014, 11:53 AM
i was shooting Hornady 139gr sp. i am going to dismount the scope and base, then remount. the twist rate for this particular gun and caliber is 1:10. i have not confirmed this, as i do not know how.

keeki
12-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Never knew savage to put out a 10 twist. Either 9.5 or 11.5 is all I've seen

stealthy1
12-15-2014, 02:33 PM
22207Caliber:7MM-08 REMHanded:RightRate of Twist:1 in 10"Weight:7 lbs. lbsOverall Length:39.5""Barrel Length:20""Ammo Capacity:4MSRP:$660.00
Caliber:
7MM-08 REM
Handed:
Right
Rate of Twist:
1 in 10"
Weight:
7 lbs. lbs
Overall Length:
39.5""
Barrel Length:
20""
Ammo Capacity:
MSRP:
$660.00

keeki
12-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Yea, a 13 twist should stabilize that 139 gr sp at 2800fps, so I don't think it's that. Now the 140tsx is a different story, it'll take a 9-9.5 to stabilize it.

tammons
12-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Check to make sure everything is free floated first.

If it has 2 piece base switch to a one piece base.
Check the rings then try another scope.

Might want to check the rings to make sure they are aligned.
If not hone them.

We have a rifle that did similar but not a savage.
You could zero the fist shot then 2nd shot would be 2" high and to the right, 3rd 5" high and 3" right then it would track back down, but it was a mini 14 in 6.8 SPC. I burned through about 80 rounds of ammo trying to figure it out since it was a new rifle. Sent it back and they changed out the barrel, bolt and a few other odds and ends.

More than likely its the scope or mount or rings or not free floated.

stealthy1
12-16-2014, 08:44 PM
i took it out again today after reinstalling base and rings. bought a box of 140grn fed fusion. this time, i waited a few minutes between shots. it still started spraying on the sixth shot. i ended up throwing 9 rounds down range before stopping for about 20 minutes for a complete cool down. the tenth shot was back on the money. i think that this gun is very heat sensitive.

olddav
12-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Yep, sounds just like a hunting rifle. I never shoot more than three shots before letting the barrel cool for about 10 min or more.

foxx
12-16-2014, 09:32 PM
Yep, sounds just like a hunting rifle. I never shoot more than three shots before letting the barrel cool for about 10 min or more.

+1

I typically get 2 good shots without a good cool-down. I don't think that's unusual at all. and, for practical hunting situations, shouldn't be a problem.

5spd
12-17-2014, 10:04 PM
I don't have any issues w/my 7-08 22" sporter bbl. I can run 10 shots and stick them all around an 1"-1.5" w/my 140g load and 5/8" w/my 120g load.
Yup its hot by them, but it don't walk all over the target. I would try another scope if it was mine.

AndrewX
12-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Check to make sure everything is free floated first.

If it has 2 piece base switch to a one piece base.
Check the rings then try another scope.

Might want to check the rings to make sure they are aligned.
If not hone them.

+1 Also if you reload, invest some time in load development.

Last October I purchased a Trophy Hunter XP in 7mm-08, took it home cleaned it, adjusted the trigger, checked to make sure everything was tight with the factory installed scope and headed to the range with three boxes of ammo (Hornady 139 grain Interlock, Remington 140 Core-Lokt and Federal 140 grain Fusion) to pick the best brand and get the rifle zeroed.

During the first range session, the best it would shoot was 3 shots in 3 inches at 100 yards with the three factory loads I tried. After going over the rifle a second time, I spent 15 minutes with a Dremel to fully free float the barrel and replaced the two piece mounts with a one piece EGW rail and replaced the rings with Warne Maxima rings. Next trip to the range was noticeably better with the Hornady load coming in around 1.5" for three shots.

This spring I picked up some brass, dies and 140 grain Sierra Game Kings. After load development with a couple of different powders, neck sized, loaded to .010 off the lands it now puts 3 shots at just under an inch.

gwtx
12-22-2014, 01:21 AM
Sure sounds like sumpin is loose,,,, rings, bases, action screws, scope internals,,, ?. As said already make SURE the stock is not touching the barrel, all the way from the tip of the forend back to the receiver. . Check the clearance after 3 or 4 successive rounds, while the barrel is hot. I understand your frustration, it's part of the addiction.
Merrry Christmas, and good shootin to ya. Gary