PDA

View Full Version : I want it to hold 5 rounds!

JeepsAndGuns
04-25-2010, 01:44 PM
One of the things that has annoyed me since I got my savage is the fact that it only hold 4 rounds. Its a model 111 long action center feed. When it was in the factory stock you could put 4 in the mag and one in the chamber, you then had to hold down on the top round in the mag and push the bolt over it. I did not like this. Why couldnt it be like the 10 or so mil-surp rifles I have where I stick 5 rounds in the mag and close the bolt. I always shoot in multiples of 5. I shoot 5 shot groups, I only target shoot, no hunting.
Well I put a new barrel on it and put it in a choate ultimate varmiter stock. Now I love my rifle and love the stock, but it only holding 4 rounds annoys the crap out of me. In the choate ultimate varmiter stock, it will hold 4 in the mag and thats it, you cant press the top one down enough to push the bolt over it. GRRRRRR

So what about converting to a DBM? I saw the conversion that SSS offers, but it only holds NINE rounds DANG IT. I want this rifle to hold either 5 rounds or if DBM, 10 rounds. But DBM of 5 rounds would be fine too, I could live with that. I love my UV stock and do not want to get rid of it, so could this stock be machiened to accept a DBM? I assume doing something like this is gonna be the only option to make me happy. Find a DBM and have the stock converted/machiened to fit it.
Has anyone ever done such a thing? I know you can have a stock made for a DBM, but what about modifying a blind mag stock to accept a DBM?

ande7824
04-25-2010, 02:54 PM
google CDI DBM. From what I have heard they make a great product. They take the AICS mags too, 5 or 10 round.

http://cdiprecisiongunworks.com/c1/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

EFBell
04-25-2010, 06:16 PM
trim your mag spring a hair or relieve the material from the mag well a little and you should be able to get the bolt over that 4th round.

JeepsAndGuns
04-25-2010, 08:35 PM
google CDI DBM. From what I have heard they make a great product. They take the AICS mags too, 5 or 10 round.

http://cdiprecisiongunworks.com/c1/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Thanks for the link, looks like they only offer it for the short action, I have the long action. That sucks, cause its bbasicly exactly what I am wanting.

EFBell, thing is, I am not wanting the bolt to go over the 4th round. I am wanting it to hold one more round than it does now. I want to be able to stick 5 in the mag.

geargrinder
04-25-2010, 10:03 PM
He does make long action DBM's for Savage.

http://www.cdignition.com/images/Flyer1.jpg

http://www.cdignition.com/images/Flyer2.jpg

JeepsAndGuns
04-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Yea I must have missed that on the webpage. But I did email him last night and got a reply. He said he is making them for savage long action and should be ready in a week or two. I asked if the DBM could be made to work with the choate UV with it being a pistol grip style stock. He said he thinks it could with a little work to the stock and some to the trigger guard on the DBM.
I had also asked about the mags but he didnt say anything about them in his reply. I saw short mags for 308 sized rounds, and the only long mag I saw were for 300 win mag. I dont think a 30-06 sized round would fit in a mag for a 300 win mag.

handirifle
04-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Yea I must have missed that on the webpage. But I did email him last night and got a reply. He said he is making them for savage long action and should be ready in a week or two. I asked if the DBM could be made to work with the choate UV with it being a pistol grip style stock. He said he thinks it could with a little work to the stock and some to the trigger guard on the DBM.
I had also asked about the mags but he didnt say anything about them in his reply. I saw short mags for 308 sized rounds, and the only long mag I saw were for 300 win mag. I dont think a 30-06 sized round would fit in a mag for a 300 win mag.

I have swapped calibers in my 110, from 30-06 (factory) to 338WM using the same magazine and follower with no issues in feeding at all.

geargrinder
04-26-2010, 11:14 PM
I think he was talking about the 300win AI mags being able to feed the 30-06 rounds correctly.

I think they would since the AI's are centerfeed.

JeepsAndGuns
04-27-2010, 11:10 PM
I think he was talking about the 300win AI mags being able to feed the 30-06 rounds correctly.

I think they would since the AI's are centerfeed.

Yes.
I know the 308 mags would be the right width, but they will be too short. The mags for the 300WM would be long enough, but I am just unsure about their width. I know the 300WM has a lot fatter case than the 6.5x55 I am shooting. The 6.5x55 is really really close to the 30-06 size wise, just a little shorter and a smaller bullet. So I know if a mag will fit 30-06 properly, it will fit the 6.5x55 and I still have plenty of room to seat the bullets to whatever length I want.
I just want to know for 100% that those mags will fit before I buy anything. Its all just way too much work and money to go through for the mags not to work.

JeepsAndGuns
04-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Ok, got a reply back from cdi. He says the 300WM mag will work with a little tweaking of the feed lips.
My guess is bending them in slightly.
I am still yet undecided on this and am still weighing my options. And of corse I am still on the lookout for other ways too.

davemuzz
04-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Here is a tool @ Brownells made just for feedlip tweeking: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25049/Product/MAGAZINE_FEED_LIPTOOL I remembered seeing it in their big 'ol catalog......but I didn't realize it was such a whopping price!!! Just to tweek a feed lip!!!