PDA

View Full Version : Want to do my first build

*tim*
12-11-2014, 08:55 PM
I want a 270 wsm and And would like to build it. my only real requirement is I want it to be stainless. I think I need a center feed action or are they all the same with just different magazines? Is there anything else I should look for to start out with and what brand of barrel should I look into. I'm really wanting a 24" fluted barrel, maybe a heavy shorter or something middle of the road on weight. It will be used for hunting everything from coyotes to maybe elk in the future but mostly whitetails

*tim*
12-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Or I could just buy a 116 trophy hunter and shoot it for a while and build as I go

Tokimini
12-12-2014, 12:47 AM
I've gotten very good accuracy with a Shilen barrel on a Rem 700 in 204 Ruger and astounding accuracy with a McGowen barrel on a Savage in 6BR. A couple of things to consider before you start buying components - the bolt head, firing pin, and firing pin spring are different on WSM calibers than on standard calibers, and Shilen will not flute their barrels. They feel that fluting can cause unrecoverable stresses in a barrel. I hope you're a big dude, because a 270 WSM with a mid weight barrel is gonna kick like a mule.

Steelhead
12-12-2014, 12:51 AM
Or I could just buy a 116 trophy hunter and shoot it for a while and build as I go

That's a pretty good plan.
Shoot it and decide what needs to done after.

Shilen has been good to me.

Skip the fluting.

foxx
12-12-2014, 12:53 AM
270 wsm in SS will be hard to find. You might have to start with a new Varmint or Targe action... Most of the WSM's are large shank (maybe not necessary, but all current productions go that way), so I would not suggest doing otherwise. Honestly, I would start with phone call to Jim at NSS, E-mail to Fred at SSS and e-mail to Jim at Apache Gun Works. See what each has to say about barrels and actions. You may end up wanting to get pieces from each of these great guys.

Buds has an SS 270 wsm listed, but not many around right now. It might be hard to find used SS large shank used actions.

claysshotgunner
12-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Just sold a SS large shank WSM action on here. It actually started as a 270 wsm, til I sold the barrel. So, keep an eye out here.

*tim*
12-17-2014, 05:51 PM
Are the older top bolt release models any better or worse?

Lbass
12-17-2014, 05:54 PM
I've got a Browning A-bolt in 270wsm, It shoots good.

My List of Pro's would be it hits hard, accurate and makes for a good hunting round. It has a lot of light for caliber bullets if you like to move them fast. Manageable recoil.

The Cons would be the cost of both loaded ammunition and brass. Few bullets that I like in the heavy for caliber side. You get 1 less in the magazine compared to -06 based cases.

When I do take it out, it's for deer season. I use 130gr Nosler BT in front of RL-22.... Seems to do the trick.

I've been thinking a lot of selling mine and going to a 7mm WSM, Pretty similar rounds, but I think the 7mm has a longer neck and better high BC bullet selection.... I'll see what I think when I get the 300wsm done.

Bigeclipse
12-19-2014, 11:01 AM
I want a 270 wsm and And would like to build it. my only real requirement is I want it to be stainless. I think I need a center feed action or are they all the same with just different magazines? Is there anything else I should look for to start out with and what brand of barrel should I look into. I'm really wanting a 24" fluted barrel, maybe a heavy shorter or something middle of the road on weight. It will be used for hunting everything from coyotes to maybe elk in the future but mostly whitetails

shilen, criterion, pac nor, macgowen, kreiger are all very good barrel companies. I would put mcgowen last only because I have heard they have had a few quality issues BUT I have also heard they have great customer service and have always made things right in the end. It all depends on your needs and budget. If budget and time are of no issue id go with kreiger or shilen. They are more expensive and take a while but will be amazing barrels. You can buy premade criterion barrels from Northland shooter supplies which is what I did. CRiterion barrels are also very good quality, especially if you get their match grade brands.

If your accuracy desires are for hunting shots on deer out to 600 yards or less I would maybe even skip all these brands and buy a SHAW kit from brownells or EABCO. For 200 bucks you get the barrel, barrel nut wrench, and go gauges. Basically you get the barrel for 100 bucks. These barrels typically hold under 1 MOA with .5MOA not being out of the question. They are considered to be of slightly better quality than factory savage barrels which is actually quite decent. If you desire a VERY accurate rifle and are shooting beyond 600 yards, especially on game, where you want .5MOA or better then your best bet is to stick with the barrel manufacturers I listed above.

P.S. I would stay away from the WSMs unless you reload. Factory ammo is hard to find and expensive. I have owned a couple and although the performance is awesome, unless you are trying to build an ultrashort light rifle id stick with something like a 7mm rem mag. Now of course if you reload, build whatever you want :)

*tim*
12-19-2014, 12:21 PM
i do reload and maybe shoot a couple hundred rounds a year so not real worried about the cost of ammo. im looking into a wsm a little for the weight and length savings but also the length of the savage long action is too long for my scope and i have a full rail on my 300 win mag and its ok but i really like my talley rings i have on my other rifle but even with the extended model my scope is still not back quite as far as i would like

Bigeclipse
12-19-2014, 12:43 PM
i do reload and maybe shoot a couple hundred rounds a year so not real worried about the cost of ammo. im looking into a wsm a little for the weight and length savings but also the length of the savage long action is too long for my scope and i have a full rail on my 300 win mag and its ok but i really like my talley rings i have on my other rifle but even with the extended model my scope is still not back quite as far as i would like

what are your goals...hunting, steel plates, distance?

*tim*
12-19-2014, 03:21 PM
It will be a deer hunting gun mostly with most shots under 200 yrds but would like to take 4-500 yrds shots on deer or elk maybe a little farther on deer. It probably will never happen but would like to build a load for it and practice just in case

txbdyguard
12-31-2014, 01:36 PM
I just sold a 270 WSM stainless on here yesterday.........

*tim*
12-31-2014, 01:39 PM
Well hell!!!

txbdyguard
12-31-2014, 02:14 PM
And it was the non accustock with the top bolt release (easiest one to find an after market stock for)