PDA

View Full Version : reinforcing axis stock help.

ohihunter2014
12-11-2014, 01:56 PM
so I found a thread about putting steel rods in the stock to reinforce it but I'm afraid of losing accuracy due to the gun already being zeroed and no range until may. if I epoxy rods into the stock but keep the barrel free floated will it mess with my accuracy?

ejk24
12-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Ohiohunter , I have reinforced 2 Axis stocks in the past and made the stocks much more stable and stiffer . Shooting off bags my accuracy is consistent due to the forearms being stiffer and not sensitive to where I rest the stock on the bags . For hunting they are fine . I don't use bipods and I don't think that they are solid enough to use a bipod the way my buddies load a bipod when they shoot . It is an improvement but not the strength of a wooden stock . For my use of hunting and occasional target shooting it works great . If you choose to do it clean the surfaces with mineral spirits and then wash with hot water and dish washing soap to get rid of the mold release agent that is present . Rough up your surfaces before applying epoxy . A friend of mine works with molded plastics and gave me that advise . Both of mine have held for over 2 years and have been used a lot . I still gave the barrel channels plenty of clearance with a dowel rod and coarse sand paper after the mods . It's cheap and easy and effective but not as rigid as a wood stock .

ohihunter2014
12-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Ohiohunter , I have reinforced 2 Axis stocks in the past and made the stocks much more stable and stiffer . Shooting off bags my accuracy is consistent due to the forearms being stiffer and not sensitive to where I rest the stock on the bags . For hunting they are fine . I don't use bipods and I don't think that they are solid enough to use a bipod the way my buddies load a bipod when they shoot . It is an improvement but not the strength of a wooden stock . For my use of hunting and occasional target shooting it works great . If you choose to do it clean the surfaces with mineral spirits and then wash with hot water and dish washing soap to get rid of the mold release agent that is present . Rough up your surfaces before applying epoxy . A friend of mine works with molded plastics and gave me that advise . Both of mine have held for over 2 years and have been used a lot . I still gave the barrel channels plenty of clearance with a dowel rod and coarse sand paper after the mods . It's cheap and easy and effective but not as rigid as a wood stock .

im worried about doing it this late in the season and having my accuracy go to crap because of messing with the stock. any thoughts on that?

Hallbilly
12-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Hi ohihunter, here's an option and it doesn't add weight.
I have a Weather warrior that I'm determined not to spend any money on.
It took nothing for the plastic forend to touch the barrel, so I've relieved the plastic around the barrel.
I'm a toolmaker so I used a milling machine, but I've seen plenty of people use broom handles and sandpaper to achieve an excellent job.
At the end of the stock where the barrel is only .700" diameter I've now got 1/8" clearance left and right and 3/16" under the barrel.
You can still get the stock to touch the barrel, but it now takes determined effort.
I used a 7/8" ball nosed cutter, so If anyone wants to try this I would advise starting with a 3/4" broom handle (Sand paper on top would bring things to about 7/8").
The plastic used on my stock is very easy the carve.

ejk24
12-12-2014, 12:32 AM
im worried about doing it this late in the season and having my accuracy go to crap because of messing with the stock. any thoughts on that?
If you are concerned about the way it shoots leave it alone until your hunting season is over . Its definitely not going to hurt your accuracy and only make your stock more stable if you do it . Any time you disassemble and reassemble the stock from the barreled action you are going to have to re check your zero . There is no guarantee your accuracy will be better , but it wont hurt . It definitely gives stability to the stock and after properly clearancing no worries of barrel contact . The Axis stocks are the thinnest and flexiest stocks I have seen on a Savage center fire rifle to date . Still a lot of gun for the price and a dirt cheap modification short of replacing the stock .