PDA

View Full Version : 223 primers for H335

slaroy
04-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi guys, newb here with a question on primers...

I recently bought some H335 powder to work up some loads using a 50gr vmax.

A friend suggested I use a magnum primer with H335. Because it is a ball powder. As far as I can tell, in my Lee manual it doesn't call for magnum primers.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions for a 50 grain vmax? I have already tested some Imr4895 and those loads did well, just trying something different.

Uncle Jack
04-25-2010, 10:18 AM
I use magnum primers with all spherical powders. All "Ball" powders are heavily graphited in manufacture and therefore a bit more difficult to ignite. I also live in Montana with extreme weather/temperature variations and do not like surprises on extremely cold mornings.

uj

LG
04-25-2010, 10:53 AM
My .223 rifle really likes the 50 gr V-Max and H335 combination. I use Remington 7 1/2 primers.

1Shot
04-25-2010, 01:10 PM
.. I use Remington 7 1/2 primers.

... 7 1/2's will light anything..lol.. ;)

82boy
04-25-2010, 01:50 PM
.. I use Remington 7 1/2 primers.

... 7 1/2's will light anything..lol.. ;)

I have been told that the 7 1/2 is considered a magnum primer.

If you look in a Speer manual they recommend using a magnum primer with ball powder.

slaroy
04-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the reassurance guys. I will let you know how the loads turn out. CCI magnums and 25, 25.5, and 26 grains of H335 here I come.

5spd
04-25-2010, 07:36 PM
30+ yrs of loading for the .223 with ball powder Ive never had any problems using standard primers to lite up any ball powder. I use H335/BLC2/W748/H414/Varget.
Some books call for mag primers/some dont, never had a varmint or target say "hey you need mag primers" to punch a hole in me"....... :D

Uncle Jack
04-25-2010, 07:47 PM
"..... never had a varmint or target say "hey you need mag primers" to punch a hole in me"

That's not the point. Have you ever tested your loads with standard primers under adverse temperature conditions? I think you may find that loads that work just fine at 65F or 70F are not reliable and ain't worth squat at -20F.

uj

dnunn
04-25-2010, 09:46 PM
I got good accuracy with H335 and 69gr SMKs. I used standard primers, no problems. So far, best load for my Weather Warrior model is with 53gr Sierra HPFB and Varget.

5spd
04-26-2010, 08:17 PM
"..... never had a varmint or target say "hey you need mag primers" to punch a hole in me"

That's not the point. Have you ever tested your loads with standard primers under adverse temperature conditions? I think you may find that loads that work just fine at 65F or 70F are not reliable and ain't worth squat at -20F.
uj

Not only tested but I shoot/hunt throughout the winter & all year long here & in other states into -30f weather w/blowing snow, never had a round not fire with standard primers when I pulled the trigger in those extremes....ever, no matter if its -30F or above 50F. Ive punched paper at -25F and to 105F with the same load so it works for me. My (-14 to -32) cold weather shooting/varminting this year was over 1100 rounds.
I am not posting to say dont use what ever primer he may want to use & feel good with, but am saying this is actual live person useage & my own opinion on my loads using standard primers.
jm

Steve in PA
04-28-2010, 01:47 AM
I live in PA with cold winters and very warm to hot summers. I use CCI 400 LR primers for loads in both my Bushmaster and Savage 12FV. Never had an issue with a round not going off.

Uncle Jack
04-28-2010, 07:05 AM
It's not a question about whether or not the powder will ignite. It's about the consistency of the ignition. I seriously doubt that many folks here have ever sat down in severely inclement weather and shot for groups. It's not a matter of conjecture. It's a matter of fact. At -20 degrees powder and primers do not ignite as reliably and consistently as they do at 70*F and it is more of an issue with heavily graphited spherical powder. It is even more of an issue when the rifle and the ammunition have been out in the elements for a couple of hours and have not just been brought out of a warm environment like a car or your pocket.

Just about every powder company and bullet manufacturer recommends the use of magnum primers with spherical/ball powder in their reloading literature. Do you think they are all in a conspiracy to promote the use of magnum primers for some nefarious reason?

Like every other question of choice here, each person has their own opinion and MO. After 50 plus years of rifle shooting and reloading, I have just found that following the directions sometimes is a good idea. I also:

Always actually use real headspace gauges.
Always cycle every cartridge through my rifle before hunting to make sure they all chamber.
Never drink when I’m reloading.
Never use powder from an unlabeled container.
Never shoot someone else’s reloads unless I know them REAL well.
And, yes, I do wear both suspenders and a belt. The belt holds my Glock up.

uj

nhm16
04-30-2010, 08:52 PM
I use the Wolf SRM (http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7283&dir=278|284|737) for all my .223 loads.

buddy
04-30-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm new here also and researched this subject to the point of talking to CCI on the phone. They say without magnum primers peak pressures were obtained @ different points in the bore, not consistently in the same spots. Magnum primers alleviate this problem. We all will agree though that consistency is a key to accuracy. Their words not mine.

possum1
04-30-2010, 11:13 PM
I tried some H335 with CCI SRP and 55gr. Hornady's yesterday, wasn't satisfied with the grouping. Changed to CCI mag today and the group's really tightened up.

slaroy
05-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Well guys, range report here. I stuck with the cci magnum primers.

Best was with the Max load in the Lee manual; 26grains H335

Three five shot groups at 200 yards averaged .758" out of my 26" factory barrel. I think the groundhogs around here better watch out!

amadjuster
05-03-2010, 12:43 PM
I used H380 years ago in a .308 and they did OK but left a fuzzy residue on the outside of the case necks. When I started reloading again last year, I could only find CCI large rifle magnum primers and they don't leave the fuzzy residue. I also changed rifles, from an old Ruger 77 flat bolt with a typical old Ruger egg shaped chamber to a Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500) and that may also be the difference. That old Ruger had a barrel that undulated so there is no telling how big the throat was!

From everything I have read and from talking to a lot of people who ought to know, I think it prudent to use magnum primers with ball powder. However, in a small case like a .223, it may not make a lot of difference.

Hylander
05-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I use Federal GM205M Match Primers and
CCI BR-4