PDA

View Full Version : reducing stock flex

Pages : [1] 2

blink
12-11-2014, 04:15 AM
i've been searching for an hour now and can't seem to find any posts with pics on modifications to reduce the flex in the stock,both fore stock and grip.i saw a post once on the subject once i'm sure.:noidea:

homefrontsniper
12-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Get a new stock

ohihunter2014
12-11-2014, 09:51 AM
i've been searching for an hour now and can't seem to find any posts with pics on modifications to reduce the flex in the stock,both fore stock and grip.i saw a post once on the subject once i'm sure.:noidea:

I was going to try and put old carbon or aluminum arrows in it and epoxy it to the stock to stiffen the forend. only other way I see I get a boyds stock.

savagemann
12-11-2014, 11:35 AM

This is the thread you are looking for.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?18711-Axis-Edge-Stock-Reinforcement-Made-Easy-Take-II

blink
12-12-2014, 03:30 AM
YES,that's it.
thank you!

This is the thread you are looking for.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?18711-Axis-Edge-Stock-Reinforcement-Made-Easy-Take-II

J.Baker
12-18-2014, 11:12 PM
I've been saying this for years but apparently everyone prefers to learn the hard way...

Save your time and money and just spend the $100 on a Boyds laminate stock. No matter what you do or how much effort and time you put into it, you're never going to eliminate all the flex in the factory stock.

KTP
01-02-2015, 12:47 PM
Agreed. You can spend hours and $ working on a stock and you'll still not be satisfied.

tufrthnails
01-02-2015, 07:35 PM
+1 on the boyds I am thoroughly satisfied with mine.

daddyusmaximus
01-02-2015, 10:53 PM
I love my Boyd's stock. I haven't fired it yet, but it's gorgeous, and feels just right. I'm so glad I didn't waste time farting around with the factory stock...

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/daddyusmaximus/Guns/Axiswithboydsstock_zps07911b96.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/daddyusmaximus/media/Guns/Axiswithboydsstock_zps07911b96.jpg.html)

DrThunder88
01-03-2015, 02:13 AM
I don't know. Farting around is half the fun. The epoxy/fiberglass layup I did on the forend of mine helped quite a bit. I don't know if pre-stressing it from the inside with allthread and some nuts was to any positive effect, but it did add a bit of mass. I suspect that if I was better with fiberglass, it would have been even better. I had designs on wrapping the wrist in a few layers but couldn't work out the geometry.

I did eventually upgrade to a Boyds stock, but only because I was putting on a varmint barrel. Actually the Boyds stock also needed some farting around with owing to that goofy finger groove and the cheekpiece.

fgw_in_fla
01-03-2015, 05:26 AM
Yeah, I gotta go with Doc on that.
I didn't consider it farting around when I farted around with my Axis stocks. Back then the Boyd's custom chewed 4x4's they sell weren't available so every little bit helped.
My primary complaint was the up & down flex when using a bipod. It was OK if the hog was on a pogo stick and I followed his movement in the scope. Adding rods or ANY reinforcement will help a little. You'll never get rid of the twisting flex, though.

Have a go of it. It'll teach you a little about the rifle by getting into its inner spirit. You may invent a new curse word or two along the way. But most importantly, have fun with it.

Doubletap
01-03-2015, 09:52 PM
I don't know. Farting around is half the fun. The epoxy/fiberglass layup I did on the forend of mine helped quite a bit. I don't know if pre-stressing it from the inside with allthread and some nuts was to any positive effect, but it did add a bit of mass. I suspect that if I was better with fiberglass, it would have been even better. I had designs on wrapping the wrist in a few layers but couldn't work out the geometry.

I did eventually upgrade to a Boyds stock, but only because I was putting on a varmint barrel. Actually the Boyds stock also needed some farting around with owing to that goofy finger groove and the cheekpiece.

I have an Axis with a heavy barrel, does Boyd make stock for it or do you have to cut out the barrel channel to make it work?

daddyusmaximus
01-04-2015, 01:20 AM
Pretty sure I remember just seeing factory barrel channel.

DrThunder88
01-04-2015, 02:20 AM
Yes, and specifically the lighter factory barrel rather than the heavy factory barrel.

ejk24
01-04-2015, 07:02 PM
I have an Axis with a heavy barrel, does Boyd make stock for it or do you have to cut out the barrel channel to make it work?
Boyds makes a few stocks for the Axis but they are all for the standard barrel models . The barrel channels can be quite easily opened up with a piece of dowel rod and heavy grit sandpaper wrapped around the dowel rod .

Doubletap
01-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Just took the stock off my new axis, they now have a diamond pattern in the fore end, must be trying to stop some of the flex, just filled the diamonds with epoxy

DrThunder88
01-05-2015, 01:40 AM
The internal reinforcement is now a diamond pattern? That is interesting. Savage must be paying attention.

blink
01-06-2015, 01:21 AM
i would need to see both sides of the boys stocks,i see most have a cheek rest on them,unfortunately,i'm one of the few who shoot left with a right handed rifle.:violin:
would be cool if they could use a right handed action with left handed shooting stock.:( it would for me then be a "custom" stock.lol

TXCOONDOG
01-06-2015, 09:17 PM
Just took the stock off my new axis, they now have a diamond pattern in the fore end, must be trying to stop some of the flex, just filled the diamonds with epoxy

Any chance of before and after pics ?

Anyone ever try pressure (points) bedding?

shooterfpga
01-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Any chance of before and after pics ?

Anyone ever try pressure (points) bedding?
One guy just recently inadvertantly did that. Caused vertical stringing and fouling. On a thin barrel it might help but i see too many negatives.