PDA

View Full Version : 338 win mag

tom338
12-10-2014, 10:17 PM
have a savage 11/116 in a 338 win mag that does not shoot the greatest. was thinking about putting a new barrel on it so bought a Foster go and a no go gauge. thought I would just check the gun, bolt won't close on either, won't close on son's 300 win mg either. ?????????????

bootsmcguire
12-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Bad gauge perhaps? I have heard about bad ones making it out. Or perhaps you got a NO-GO that was accidently marked GO?

D.ID
12-10-2014, 10:52 PM
300 win is a longer cartridge so that makes sense.
Correct to assuming it closes on 338 win ammo?
If so does it deform the shoulder or close really hard?
Does chambering and un-chambering ammo mark up the brass at all?
Sounds like you need to break the barrel nut loose and lengthen the head space and then retighten unless you gages are out of spec. You can check that with calipers (close enough) but I would be really surprised.

bootsmcguire
12-10-2014, 11:03 PM
300 win is a longer cartridge so that makes sense.
Correct to assuming it closes on 338 win ammo?
If so does it deform the shoulder or close really hard?
Does chambering and un-chambering ammo mark up the brass at all?
Sounds like you need to break the barrel nut loose and lengthen the head space and then retighten unless you gages are out of spec. You can check that with calipers (close enough) but I would be really surprised.

D.ID both the 300WM and the 338WM are belted magnums and headspace off of the belt. The GO and NO-GO gauges for them are the same and are not long enough to get to the shoulder area of any standard belted magnum.

D.ID
12-11-2014, 03:28 AM
Right, gauges will be set up to headspace on the rim, I thought he was talking ammo since they use the same gauge.
If your having trouble with multiple gauges you must have a chambering or bolt face defect. Don't know what else it could be.

short round
12-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Maybe that the extractor is not going over the rim of the gauge. Remove extractor & check headspace.

tom338
12-11-2014, 11:26 AM
will pull the extractor and re check

tom338
12-11-2014, 12:08 PM
took extractor off and bolt closes on go gauge

bootsmcguire
12-11-2014, 11:46 PM
Right, gauges will be set up to headspace on the rim, I thought he was talking ammo since they use the same gauge.
If your having trouble with multiple gauges you must have a chambering or bolt face defect. Don't know what else it could be.

10-4. I obviously took it that you were referring to gauges. Yes Ammo/Brass is totally different. My apologies if I came off like a jerk.

D.ID
12-12-2014, 01:09 AM
10-4. I obviously took it that you were referring to gauges. Yes Ammo/Brass is totally different. My apologies if I came off like a jerk.

Not at all. All good.