PDA

View Full Version : any ammo suggestions for a Model 12 LRPV .223

King Ghidora
04-25-2010, 06:16 AM
I recently picked up a Model 12 LRPV Left Port in .223 and I was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion for ammo for it. I've been trying different stuff trying to find something that works well but to be honest it all seems to work pretty well. But I want something to work exceptionally well if I can find it. And unfortunately I am not yet setup to roll my own. I hope to change that before too long though.

I've tried some match grade ammo but it didn't seem to be any more accurate than the other stuff I've tried out to 100 yards. So far all I've done is get the scope sighted in and make sure the rifle shoots well (it does). I've been shooting MOA with everything from American Eagle to PMC to Remington Premier Match and none of it seems to be better or worse than any of the rest.

So if anyone has a suggestion for factory cartridges I'd appreciate it.

Smokey262
04-25-2010, 09:17 AM
What weight bullets have you tried so far?

oldguy
04-25-2010, 09:21 AM
You have a great rifle but will not reach full potential without reloading, I have a Model 12 BTVS and it shoots around .500 @100 yards consistently with my reloads I haven't used commercial rifle ammo in 40 years so cant advise on brand other then I've read the Black Hills match(69gr) is very good.

King Ghidora
04-25-2010, 05:09 PM
What weight bullets have you tried so far?

Mostly 55 gr. but some 69 gr. (Remington Premier Match) and some that was lighter than 55 but I don't remember exactly how much it was and the box is history. I haven't found anything heavier than that locally. I figure 75 is the limit with a 1:9 twist.

oldguy
04-25-2010, 05:29 PM
I use 52gr match and 69gr match(reloads) in my model 12, they both shoot well:

ssv1761982
04-25-2010, 06:20 PM
The only store bought stuff I tried in my 112FV was the Black Hills in the blue box with 50gr V-Max bullets. They rivaled my handloads in my gun. My gun is a 9 twist, wasn't the LRPV available in 7 & 9 twist?

King Ghidora
04-25-2010, 07:31 PM
It's available now in 7 and 9 twist. I don't know if it always has been. Mine is a 1:9. I know the 1:7 will spin heavier bullets and I think that's pretty much what people use for long distance shooting. I'm hoping to get out to 400 yards and be accurate. I don't expect to shoot deer or anything stupid like that at that distance. I'm mainly looking for a paper puncher. I have a 110 in .30-06 for hunting. I've never even tried shooting that more than 200 yards. It does well at that distance though.

I know I need to start reloading. That's going to be next on my agenda but I figure it will take a while to master that skill well enough to even match factory loads. I'm figuring this will take me a few years to get out to longer distances. I've shot at 350 yards before and did ok with other guns. Maybe someday I'll get out to 600 yards. The local gun club has a 600 yard range.

I'll definitely give the Black Hills stuff a chance. That sounds like what I'm looking for right now.

TnTom
04-26-2010, 12:48 PM
King,
Don't feel that reloading is black magic or even complicated. I think most folks with a little reading and a few questions, a small investment and and some spare time you can shoot reloads as well as most ( in a few weeks not a few years). Lee can keep it inexpensive and many folks including my started there and I still use the Lee products for much of my bench work.
I have a BVSS in .223 and it likes 69gr Nosler 24.5 grs Varget, Win small primers, Win brass, .010" from the lands.

borg
04-26-2010, 02:30 PM
You can buy a Lee Loader for about $30 last I knew. If you've saved your brass, it'll pay for itself right quick. Only thing is you should also buy a Lee balance for weighing your charges. Mine is accurate to within +/- 0.05 grains as verified by A Sartorius analytical balance, but I'm something of a dab hand with when it comes to weighing powders. (I'm a chemist.)

The reason to purchase a Lee Loader is so you will realize how dang long it will take you to reload quantity with that set up, and then you will start "saving" in earnest for all the more epensive toys while spending every dollar that isn't set aside on reloading components and new or used Savage rifles.

But then again, my wife left me before I got into reloading, so individual experience may vary.

tammons
04-26-2010, 02:58 PM
I got decent results with black hills.

When you get your Eq load up some 52 gr amax bullets over 27 gr of varget with CCI BR primers jumped .015.

Thats a super hot load so work up.
You probably want to back off in the summer.

I shot 1/4" groups with that load.

MARK25-06
04-26-2010, 05:34 PM
how about 24 gr. h4895 69 gr smk .020 "jump its only 2870 fps but in my 26" savage 1 in 9 it works like a dandy MARK25-06

dozernomore
04-26-2010, 06:25 PM
my savage-stevens 223 rem 1-9 twist,,shot exceptionally well with
winchester USA (white box)
223 rem
45gr. J.H.P.
3600 fps
you might wanna try some of that in your's

Pete K.
04-26-2010, 07:29 PM
King,

Black Hills was mentioned more tan once in the replies. I don't reload and have shot only Black Hills. They come 50 per box and are now offered only in new. I have tried nearly all of the weights offered in my 1 in 9 twist VLP. The 69 gr Match is good stuff but the 52 gr Match HPs have been the best.
At 3300 fps with and 1237 ft lbs they have nearly the same energy as the 69gr @ 1245 ft lbs. The 52 gr. HPs shoot very flat and at $0.69 a round plus shipping are a great bargin for the nearly hand loaded consistency they give. I suggest that you try both but get extra on the 52 gr. Match HPs as you will like the results. Get enough to take advantage of the freight charges say 300 or 400 rounds at a time. The 52s came down from $37.50 a few months ago. Black Hills is what the military competition shooters asked for from the armorers and Black Hills is a major supplier to the Military. Good consistant stuff. Save all your fired brass!! If you have good eyes and are a good shot you should expect groups well under 1" @ 100 with a good steady rest and bags.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

Pete K.