PDA

View Full Version : Savage trophy hunter

Xbolt
12-09-2014, 05:01 PM
I bought my first savage at Canadian tire a month ago since then I sighted it in and whent hunting and shot a big bodied 8pt buck but during the hunt I noticed that the magazine it came with would not feed when it was loaded with 4 rounds the bolt just ran over the bullet with out grabbing it. I wanted to know is there is a hinged floor plate I can buy and attach to my gun I don't like the magazine all that much I feel like the plastic tab would and could brake making my savage into a single shot if I could fix this I would most defenetly buy a another savage within the week

Thanks for your time
xbolt

foxx
12-09-2014, 05:34 PM
If yours has the removable plastic "bottom metal" that surrounds the hole around the port for the magazine it can be switched to a hinged floor plate or a better detachable mag system. If, however, your stock is solid all around the port, then the only option is to replace the stock and upgrade to an all metal "traditional" 10/110 dbm.

The Trophy Hunter magazines are the same mags used in the Axis models, and the only complaint I have about the Axis or the TH models.

Another option is to change the stock to "blind mag". Simply remove the bottom plastic part of the existing mag and install into a blind mag stock such as those offered by Boyds for about $90.

Xbolt
12-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Can i get a savage aprouved smith to help me and dose the 114 American Classic have an axiss style mag or the better full metal one
thank for your reply very helpful

foxx
12-09-2014, 07:59 PM
I am sure any good gunsmith can help you with this or you can do it yourself.

I believe the American Classic has the better magazine. Perhaps someone else here that is more familiar with that model can chime in on that, o you can ask Savage Customer Service.

jpdown
12-09-2014, 09:14 PM
The Savage 14/114 American Classic comes with a metal bottom bolt release trigger guard, DBM frame assembly and DBM bottom cap.

If you purchased your TH new, then the plastic frame assembly (surround) is probably molded into the factory stock. If so, the you won't be able to fit your TH stock with metal bottom parts. If you want to convert to metal bottom parts, then you will need to purchase another Savage stock inletted for the DBM and HFP frame assembly. If you want to order a HFP frame assembly, give Savage Arms a call or go to the Savage Arms Web page and look under the "Store" tab for the partfinder tab. Use serial number G891791 and it will pull up a Savage LA rifle schematic which shows the Savage LA, HFP frame assembly, and metal trigger guard parts you will need to convert from plastic to metal bottom parts. You can order a metal bottom bolt release TG and the HFP ($143.00) online from Savage with a credit card if they will ship these parts to Canada. Note: This schematic is for a Savage LA and not a Savage SA, since you did not mention your caliber.

Another option would be to call Jim at Northland Shooter Supply (site sponsor). He may stock the parts you need to do the conversion. All the budget Savage models come with plastic (Axis style) DBM and trigger guard these days.

Xbolt
12-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Thank you very much for the help il be upgrading my savage very soon!

Topsail
12-10-2014, 02:50 AM
I had the same problem with my Trophy Hunter in 270. The bolt would close without picking up a round. Back of mag would not seat deep enough. The folded metal tab in back was bent to far and would not engage in the mag well. Tried to bend it out. Oops, must be hardened as it just snapped. New mag fixed everything, now feeds perfectly.

Xbolt
12-14-2014, 01:38 AM
Would and accustock fit and have the metal bottom and of so can u order it as we'll from savage?

foxx
12-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Accustock uses the "non-Axis style mag" which uses metal "bottom metal" and metal retaining clip. It also uses a different recoil lug. I assume the stock can be ordered from Savage, along with the mag, bottom metal and recoil lug. Or, if you get a paid membership here $15/year you can post a WTB ad or wait for someone who is selling those parts. You often get much better deals that way. Also, the paid membership gives you access to great technical articles that you can learn from and reference. Best "investment" ever made for the Savage hobbyist. :)

Xbolt
12-15-2014, 04:15 AM
How about the wood 116 stock?

foxx
12-15-2014, 10:11 AM
The 116 is no longer avail in wood. However, there is basically 3 styles of wood stocks avail

1. Trophy Hunter hardwood Pressed Checkering, not cut... from the factory, includes plastic Axis style dbm and removable synthetic "bottom metal"
2. Light Weight Hunter (Walnut) From the factory, the LWH model includes plastic Axis style dbm to save weigt
3. American Classic (Walnut) cut chekering, from the factory, the model includes the traditional metal clipped dbm and the metal surround (best system)

justinp61
12-15-2014, 10:19 AM
Interesting read. I bought a model 16 in 260 late in October an noticed it didn't pick up the first round when I cycled the bolt. When I sighted it in it was shot single shot so I didn't think much about it. Opening day of deer season I shot a deer cycled the bolt and watched the deer for a couple minutes to make sure he didn't get up. I dropped the mag out and cycled the bolt to unload before letting the rifle down, the chamber was empty. I'll have to fix this.

limige
12-17-2014, 02:34 AM
fyi to all I have a factory TH stock that takes the bottom metal, its not the molded in one. if anyone needs it make an offer. I put mine in a boyds laminate

Xbolt
12-17-2014, 02:48 PM
I have tried and it works to top feed my 111 so I might just buy a canoo patch and put it over my magazine and epoxy it in place, a cheep conversion to a blind mag u guys think this would work?

foxx
12-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Yes. I don't know hat a canoo patch is, but you should be able to do something like that. SSS sells single shot loading ramps for center feed savages that would work as well.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

foxx
12-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Oh, I get it now...

Canoe patch over the bottom (outside) of the mag. Sure. Why not?

Xbolt
12-17-2014, 05:35 PM
Is a fiver glass patch then u epoxy it to the broken or damaged canoo. I wasn't sure it would stick to plastic