PDA

View Full Version : Good aftermarket barrel for 7 mag

DeerHntr952
12-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Looking for a good bull barrel, or any good barrel for for my stevens model 200 chambered in 7mm mag. I'm looking to build a budget long range rifle. Any opinions would be appreciated!

foxx
12-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Best source for budget barrels would be Apache Gun Works. Jim does great work and has built a business of chambering less than high end barrels with the same care as he would any other. He has a good story and reputation. Check out his web site.

As far as I am concerned, all the other $3-400 aftermarket barrels are pretty much the same quality. I have certainly not owned them all, but a couple, and based on reports herand elsewhere, they are all good (better than I can shoot, for sure). Once you've determined what cartridge you want, pick your barrel based on availability and the quality of service you are offered by the vendor. McGowen, McGowen Outlet, Gun Shack, Northland Shooter Supply, Apache Gun Works, Sharp Shooter Supply and maybe another all support this site and have excellent reputations. I encourage you to check them all out. BTW, Jim (Apache Gun Works) does not limit his trade to "budget" barrels, but he is building a niche in that market.

DeerHntr952
12-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Thanks a lot foxx!

reynoldsfamily3
12-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Jim made me a heavy varmint contour 25-06 barrel which is exceptional. I have a heavy varmint 7mm mag barrel on the way from him that I expect a lot from. I think he would bake you an awesome bull barrel.

bootsmcguire
12-08-2014, 10:03 PM
www.apachegunworks.com (http://www.apachegunworks.com) all the way. Best bang for your buck, and just as accurate as all the others I've had.

DeerHntr952
12-09-2014, 01:59 AM
Thanks guys I guess I'll be getting my barrel from him then! Now the other question I want to shoot out to 800 or 1000 yards like I do with my built Remington 700, I'm not sure if this rifle will preform out to those distances but I'm going to try and make it happen lol. Do I need a bull barrel or would just a heavier aftermarket barrel do the job too?

foxx
12-09-2014, 11:04 AM
I suppose bull is better for long range accuracy. It would obviously be heavier, though. Al depends on what you plan to do with it. Bench only? Go bull.

reynoldsfamily3
12-09-2014, 11:36 AM
I am no expert, but this is the way I understand it. A bull barrel will heat up slower so you can shoot faster without the barrel temperature affecting POI. If you are shooting in competition with rapidly fired strings a bull barrel would probably be beneficial. If you have more time between shots it may not be. I know barrel harmonics also play a role but that can be accounted for without a thicker barrel. I have known guys who could routinely make 800 to 1000 meter shots on man torso sized targets with a .308 without a bull barrel.

I doubt this has answered your question. A bull barrel won't hurt anything except your back when you carry it, but it may not help a lot either. If you carry it enough you will get stronger and it will no longer be an issue.

foxx
12-09-2014, 11:51 AM
LOL I like Reynolds answer better!

Dewey7271
12-09-2014, 12:16 PM
One of, but not the only reason to use bull barrels is barrel harmonics. While the actual harmonics of the barrel will remain the same(barrel steel is barrel steel, at least for harmonics) the flexing or potential change in poi would be less supposedly due to the thickness of the barrel and a bit more resistance to flex.

DeerHntr952
12-09-2014, 11:16 PM
Alright guys well I want to be able to shoot long distances but also this gun will be a hunter too so I'm leaning twords just a aftermarket magnum weight barrel

foxx
12-09-2014, 11:49 PM
Jim can take care of that for you, I am sure.

DeerHntr952
12-10-2014, 12:59 AM
Jim can take care of that for you, I am sure.
Yea I guess I'll have to wait till he is caught up again in January to order me one of his barrels!

bootsmcguire
12-10-2014, 01:07 AM
You'll still get it quicker than many other places if you had to order it.

Dewey7271
12-10-2014, 11:12 AM
You'll still get it quicker than many other places if you had to order it.
Agree completely. His stuff comes quickly and is well done. Add to that he's a nice guy to do business with.
He's done three in sporter contours for me and they are great.

DeerHntr952
12-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Alright guy, I appreciate all the advice you guys have given me I'll order a barrel from jim and let you guys know how it turns out thanks!