PDA

View Full Version : Model 111 .30-06 Bull Barrel?

SPDSKTR
04-24-2010, 07:53 PM
First of all... forgive my serious case of ignorance. I'm just getting into long-distance target shooting/hunting and am still learning.

I know Shaw does custom barrels for just about anything and I was wondering what specifications would be required for a factory barrel replacement with a good bull barrel. I know nothing really of the type of bolt action, the countour, preferred metal type, and/or preferred twist rate (tighter is more accurate, right?). Also... additional gunsmithing options they offer. What is what?

Like I said... I'm new to all of this and I can hear some laughter already.

Or if you've used something else besides Shaw, do tell!

tinkerer
04-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Caliber? Distance, etc, etc.

Yes, you can rebarrel and even change caliber, cartridge. Cahnge bolt heads also.

My suggestion, ask Jim at NSS, sponsor on the home page. He has just about everything you need, except MAYBE tools to do the job.

You can also find aftermarket stocks here. triggers also.

Larry
Tinkerer

psharon97
04-24-2010, 10:51 PM
The 111 is a long action; it can accept most of the .473 cartridges. Anything in the 308/30-06 cartridge family will work with your rifle without having to change the bolt head or magazine.

As far as barrels goes, I would recommend SSS Brux, SSS Douglass, Shilen, McGowen. The most expensive barrel is the Brux and will run you $400, the rest are about $300.

Give http://sharpshootersupply.com/ a call they can help you out.

SPDSKTR
04-24-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm not looking to change calibers. I just want a barrel to replace the factory one without much modification to my gun.

possum1
04-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Give Jim Briggs a call at Northland Shooters Supply. He will be glad to answer any questions you have. Hell of a nice guy.