PDA

View Full Version : Does $1800 SOUND LIKE A FAIR PRICE for savage 10 fcp with scope?

Pages : [1] 2

shuva
12-08-2014, 03:10 AM
I am looking at a Savage 10 fcp 308 hs precision stock with 24" fluted threaded 5r barrel item#19056
with an after market muzzle break (receipt says $160) with a buschnell elite scope 6-24x50 (seen from $800 to $1000 depending on where you look) and has less than 200 rnds. down the barrel. With every thing put in it would be around $2300 to $2500 to buy from scratch. the Guy was asking $2000 but was able to talk him down to $1850.
Question is does this sound like a fair price? I feel it is a little steep. The gun brand new is around $1000 to $1100 online and about $1300 in stores where I live. Any advice would help

GaCop
12-08-2014, 07:31 AM
Not bad for what your getting. I'd have to ask though, WHY is he getting rid of it? Welcome to the forums.

sparky123321
12-08-2014, 08:14 AM
I'd never pay that much for it. There's a used Savage 10FCP .308 on Gunbroker ending today starting at $699. Even if the scope is Bushnell's Elite Tactical G2 FFP, they run just over $800 brand new. I'd take a used Sightron 10-50x60mm SIII for $750-$800 over the Bushnell any day. Used Bushnell Elite Tactical scopes, unless illuminated, run around $600. I'd need to know more about the muzzle brake, scope base and rings, but I'd never pay over $1,400 for it. I'm a tough buyer though, but I know I won't loose much if I decide to sell down the road.

keeki
12-08-2014, 08:26 AM
You can build a nice rig for 1800

shuva
12-08-2014, 09:29 AM
The scope is illuminated, and the base is a one peice ( can't remember the name) were in the ball park at around $120. Done quite abit of research and have found the fcpk with accustock and muzzlebreak for around that $700 mark but this particular model is inherently more expensive with the 5r rifling and hs percision stock. The cheapest used gun I have found is around $1100 online.
The guy is selling because he owns a gun shop and is looking to get rid of a few guns to pay for a kids college tuition. The fact that he own the gun and is not just a consignment worries me a little because I know he is emotionally vested in it.

sparky123321
12-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Don't let the R5 rifling guide your decision either way. It's not that big or a deal. Cut rifling, air gauged and hand lapped if button rifled are much more important. As one member mentioned above you could build a new rifle with a match barrel for about the same price. Just buy any used or new Savage short action rifle with a nice HS stock and throw on a Shilen SS Select Match barrel from Northland and you'll shoot .25-.5 MOA groups all day long if you take the time to work up a load for it. You'd probably get $100-$150 for the factory barrel on this forum.

Not sure if you need or even want a muzzle brake on a .308. That scope is $800 brand new, so still $600-$650 max used. If your heart is set on this exact rifle, I'd still spend a couple hundred more and buy brand new. I know Bushnell will require the original receipt for any warranty issues.

Stockrex
12-08-2014, 10:51 AM
the scope is the deal breaker, you are probably not going to get any support on it.

shuva
12-08-2014, 11:34 AM
How is the scope going to be a deal breaker?

LoneWolf
12-08-2014, 11:38 AM
If I had $1800 to spend I wouldn't be buying this rifle. I kept my eyes out here on the classifieds and ended up picking up a Model 10 the was already Cerakoted, bedded in a Manners Stock, had a fluted McGowen Barrel, Tuned trigger, and a Badger Ordnance One Piece Scope rail for $1100. I broke it down cleaned it up, re-barreled, and put a Vortex Razor on it for Precision Bolt Rifle Matches. That scope doesn't make the deal for me!

You can almost get a bare minimum custom build done for $1800.

Stockrex
12-08-2014, 11:56 AM
How is the scope going to be a deal breaker?

well my friend only one way to find out,
call bushnell and tell you have problem with this scope and if you can send it in for service.

sparky123321
12-08-2014, 12:45 PM
If the owner runs a gun shop and is an ffl I'd be very surprised if has more than $2000 in it brand new. I know I could buy everything for $2000 or less if I took the time to catch a deal or two on gunbroker, here on this forum, buds, ebay, etc.

shuva
12-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Is it possible to back out of a deal if I have already put down the money and in the middle of my 10 day waiting period. ( I am in comi-fornia)

foxx
12-08-2014, 12:55 PM
If the seller agrees. Why not? Maybe he's entitled to some sort of small fee for the paperwork he processed.

Oxn316
12-08-2014, 03:46 PM
I say build one for that price. 250 for a action 350 for barrel muzzle brake of your choice 400 for stock and leaves plenty for a scope.

D.ID
12-08-2014, 09:37 PM
well my friend only one way to find out,
call bushnell and tell you have problem with this scope and if you can send it in for service.

I bought a used elite 6-24x50 that did not track properly.
Even told Bushnell I bought it used and heavily discounted and would pay for repairs. They sent me a brand new one, No charge.
They may slack on there cheap stuff but they stand behind there elite line, like the quality scope it is.
That being said a deal's a deal and if you already made one I would never recommend backing out unless something was misrepresented in the original deal. When I shake a man's hand, look him in the eye, negotiate in good faith and reach an agreement..........that's it! I see it threw.
If you had not already done so, I would have considered:
You can build a smart full custom for 1K if your careful........hog hunter rifle $475, -barrel and stock=$400ish/ +choate stock $230/ Apache GW barrel $220 or mcgowen or shilen at about $320, SSS recoil lug $30, weaver picitiny base $40, Ross brake $40..........400+230+220-320+30+40+40=$960-$1060.
Add a fresh bushnel ET or sightron SIII and your right there in the same price range brand new.
Without having to worry if those 200 rounds were fired "rapid fire". Weather or not sloppy cleaning damaged the crown. If it was properly broke in (if you go for that kind of thing)Or any of the other possibilities that come from used guns.
Not to mention changing whatever you want along the way.

shuva
12-08-2014, 11:40 PM
My main thing is, at this price am I being taken advantage of? I was hoping to pay about 1450 to 1500 out the door but the guy would not budge. I do like the fluted barrel to lighten up the weight a little, the threaded barrel is nice as well. I prefer the hs stoke over the accustock on the new mmodels. All and all its discounted by about 20% of what he put in to it. I just don't want to be played a fool.

foxx
12-08-2014, 11:44 PM
I don't think you are being played a fool.

I think you are paying full retail.

I also believe there is nothing dishonorable about asking a retailer to consider allowing you to return an item you have not yet taken possession of. Particularly if you are willing to fairly compensate him for his time and service. If he agrees, he may be establishing an even better relationship with you and the possibility exists that he will earn even more business from you in the future. If you don't ask, he will not know how to best serve your needs/wants as a customer /client.

D.ID
12-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Don't get me wrong I am not saying it's dishonorable or evil. I'm just saying I wouldn't do it.
I do think if you have doubt it should be delt with before making a deal but many of my perspectives are not shared by average folks anyway so.......judge accordingly.
I also agree with foxx, "I think your paying full retail."
Not the bargain of a lifetime but not played either.

Stockrex
12-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Op, sorry, I did not know that you already committed to the deal.
I would talk to the seller and tell him that he is asking full retail for a used gun and then negotiate a better price in good faith. Check if Cali law allows you to back out of a tfr.

next time just say NO to impulse purchases :-)

I have backed out of 1 firearm deal, it was with cabelas and the m1 garand was hacked by the seller and I told them I did not feel safe shooting it, took it back and got my money back. had they refused, I would have taken it back home without any complaints, well might have bit$$ed for a year about it.... ;-)

michaelnel
12-09-2014, 11:48 AM
After my experiences with Bushnell scopes and their nonexistent CS, I wouldn't give you a nickel for it.