PDA

View Full Version : Does $1800 SOUND LIKE A FAIR PRICE for savage 10 fcp with scope?

Pages : 1 [2]

jetcycles
12-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Caveat emptor, or buyer beware, definitely applies to the OP's situation. Also, it is my humble opinion that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Prior to starting this thread, the OP obviously agreed to the sales price and felt it was a decent deal for the rifle. If you can honorably back out of the deal without losing too much $$$, go for it and consider this a lesson learned. If you can't back out of the deal, consider this a lesson learned, and enjoy shooting your new rig! We've all paid too much for something at some point in our lives. In the future, do your research and educate yourself as a consumer, your enjoyment of your purchases will increase!

shuva
12-11-2014, 12:06 AM
Thanks guys for all the info, it helped a ton. Talked to the guy today and expressed my concerns. He was willing to work with me, he kept the same price but threw in a new harris bi pod, and a new pelican case and a set of butler creeks scope covers along with about 100 rounds of some match rounds. Figure it was probably around another couple hundred dollars worth of gear. Feel much better about the deal. Once again thanks for all your knowledge guys. Picked it up this morning and can't wait to take it to the range this weekend

foxx
12-11-2014, 12:19 AM
You did good!

D.ID
12-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Excellent. Glad to hear it.

Fotheringill
12-18-2014, 12:53 AM
I am new here and may get jumped on for this-

I have been burned before with purchasing a rifle sight unseen and untested by ME.
You can't ask how it shoots and get an accurate answer. What may be a "tack driver" to the seller may be a sprayer to you.
Why is the rifle being sold with only 100 rounds down the barrel? In fact, how do you know it is only 100 and not 5000.
Any bore damage? You won't know until you examine it.
Was it broken in properly?
Is there anything wrong with the scope?
Was any work done on the rifle? By whom? If someone with my skills, it might very well be a hack job.
About 100 more ifs.

I almost pulled the trigger last week for $1000 on an almost new Savage 12 in .223, target Accu-trigger, single shot target action. I asked myself the above questions and wound up purchasing the same rifle NIB (on its way right now) for $1,170. I will break it in and not take someone else's possible problem child off his hands for him. The $170 spread (about 13% more) is worth my peace of mind.

foxx
12-18-2014, 01:12 AM
I am new here and may get jumped on for this-

I have been burned before with purchasing a rifle sight unseen and untested by ME.
You can't ask how it shoots and get an accurate answer. What may be a "tack driver" to the seller may be a sprayer to you.
Why is the rifle being sold with only 100 rounds down the barrel? In fact, how do you know it is only 100 and not 5000.
Any bore damage? You won't know until you examine it.
Was it broken in properly?
Is there anything wrong with the scope?
Was any work done on the rifle? By whom? If someone with my skills, it might very well be a hack job.
About 100 more ifs.

I almost pulled the trigger last week for $1000 on an almost new Savage 12 in .223, target Accu-trigger, single shot target action. I asked myself the above questions and wound up purchasing the same rifle NIB (on its way right now) for $1,170. I will break it in and not take someone else's possible problem child off his hands for him. The $170 spread (about 13% more) is worth my peace of mind.

Me, too. And I have bought quite a few used Savages. 10-13% savings for any used gun is not worth the price, in my book. 25-50% might be, especially if the only concern is the barrel. Then you must consider the cartridge. Is it a known barrel burner? If so, you might have to assume the barrel is shot-out. So factor in the cost of a new barrel. Is it obviously a .308 hunting rifle that looks good? Might not need to be so concerned about the round count.

I'll say this, I have bought and shot over a dozen used Savages in the past year, most of them over 20 years old and they all shoot dang near .5" or better with good hand loads. If they didn't I'd trash the barrel and try another. No big deal. Target rifles would e a different story, but you still have to consider the cartridge and the reputation of the seller.

D.ID
12-18-2014, 02:20 AM
Same hear.
Generally speaking I don't buy used unless it's about 50% and then I assume it is going to need work and still have reservations.
The only reason anyone sells an almost new "tack driver" is either A:defective product or B: they don't know how to use it or C: there desperate for cash.
I completely understand why some folks take the chance to try and save a buck but I hate the what if game.

Fotheringill
12-18-2014, 11:40 AM
My math in post 26 above also takes into account shipping included from the NIB seller vs. added shipping from GB seller.

As alluded to above in other post(s), please note Savage clearly states in its manual for my rifle to not use military surplus rounds. It is probably the same for other calibers. A GB buyer has no clue whether that stuff was shot, or in the case a .223 whether the 5.56 was shot or if custom loads what may have been overdone in the charge.

I have no experience with Savage customer service, but any of the above will give Savage a chance to say the warranty is void. If you buy used, you have no way to argue if they pin the cause of user breach of the warranty.

foxx
12-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Yes, there are certain advantages to buying new. As for voiding the warranty, it is practically impossible for Savage to prove what kind of ammo has been fired and there is almost nothing you can do to alter a rifle that does not void the warranty. That does not mean Savage or any other gun manufacturer will use that as a reason to get out of properly addressing valid warranty claims. They are a reasonable company with good, inexpensive products and good customer service. But in all things, buyer has to also take responsibility for his actions and decisions. I think the OP and the seller did just fine with their final transaction and suspect the two will continue to share a fare and profitable relationship.

Fotheringill
12-18-2014, 01:36 PM
foxx-

"...As for voiding the warranty, it is practically impossible for Savage to prove what kind of ammo has been fired...." The problem is that Savage doesn't have to prove anything. It is not worth the time or energy to pursue a legal claim on a warranty issue unless someone was injured or worse due to a manufacturer's defect.

Certainly we have gone down a different road than the OP with this tangent. As I said, I have no experience with Savage warranty responses. I, do, though, with CZ (which has a superb reputation on warranty claims). It ain't all that it is cracked up to be.

My apologies for hijacking this thread.

foxx
12-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Thread was dead.

And I dont think we hijacked anything. We are discussing the merits of buying used and how the OP evaluates the deal he made or might make in the future.

If so, my apologies as well.