PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 Hunter buttpad

Shooters
12-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Hey guys, I just took off my recoil pad and noticed that it is metal screws into soft plastic. I am concerned the screws might strip the internal thread. Is this a problem? If this does happen, is there a way to fix this?

Kind of disappointed in the quality of the savage stocks, but I guess you get what you pay for ...........

foxx
12-07-2014, 11:36 PM
It should hold a few times. If not, put some JB weld or something in there before you insert the screws. Also, put some grease on the screws so they are less likely to bind in the epoxy after it sets. Maybe white lithium grease.

Shooters
12-08-2014, 12:29 AM
Thanks foxx,

It also had a styrofoam insert in there. I'm guessing it's to prevent the buttstock from crushing..

This is my first Savage and I'm not too impressed by the overall quality. Trying to find an aftermarket stock for this rifle is a nightmare! Not too many companies make a long action, centerfeed, detachable box mag for the Savages.

McMillan has some, but $500 for a rifle with a sporter barrel ????

Boyd's offers a reasonable price of $99 for a laminate stock for this rifle, and it is the ONLY one I could find ready to go.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/43a224c1g203_pro-varmint-savage-111-top-bolt-release-dbm-long-action-factory-barrel-channel-laminate-stock-w-black-textured-finishblk-txt

Another thing with Boyds, it seems that I have to purchase an additonal part from Savage or Brownells if I want to get this stock.

"These stocks are designed for the 3 piece design DBM parts as found on wood stocks. Some plastic stocked models will require you to purchase additional parts from Savage or Brownells. Not designed for old style side magazine release."

Trying hard not to sell this and give Savage a chance, someone please help.

Breeze
12-08-2014, 03:58 AM
Boyd's sells a decent stock, check your stock to see if it has the removable plastic mag well if so it can be used, if by chance it does not ,I have all the hardware listed in the classifieds to convert everything

foxx
12-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Yep. It's a fine rifle, and the Boyds wood stock makes it better because it won't flex in the forearm. You can order the parts necessary for that model from Savage Customer Service. All you need is the removeable bottom metal (it's actually plastic, though).

Savage Hunter and trophy hunter models have the Axis style detachable mags, which are not quit as nice as regular model 10/110 dbms. (all metal with metal clip/clasp). If you choose, you can upgrade to the all metal versions, but they, too, have their own, specific bottom metal.

Shooters
12-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Thanks Breeze and foxx,

I suppose I should have done a bit of reading to see how commonly available aftermarket parts were for this rifle, but for a little over $300 at the time, I thought it was a steal. I'm sure it's a great rifle for what it is and marketed for, just was not completely satisfied with the stock mainly. I know Timney and others make great triggers for it, I see there are a few reputable custom barrel makers out there, I bought an EGW picatinny mount and some Burris rings and a Bradly cheek rest.

All in all everything else is good to go, just finding a stock that won't break the bank, especially for a rifle with a sporter barrel is the challenge.

Thanks for offering your help.

foxx
12-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Good.
I think (but not sure) the plastic Trophy Hunter/Axis style bottom metal from the factory is pretty inexpensive. Maybe $15-20?? That, and the $90 Boyds' stock ain't bad. Avail in solid walnut and laminates.