PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Build Advise

powderburnz
12-07-2014, 02:44 PM
I wanna build a long range (up to 1000) .308 benchrest shooter. Big savage fan here but I'll admit I've looked around, Remington 700, Ruger American and even Marlin. Came right back to Savage where I belong. I've watched a ton of YouTube videos. Leaning toward the Savage 10. Gonna take advantage of the knowledge of this forum rather than thumb through catalogues and the Savage website or talk to the 20 yr old college student working at Gander Mtn that has to go ask the manger of every one of my questions. My elements of no compromise would be the accutrigger and a bull barrel. Would like a threaded barrel for a future break. Not sure about the accustock, I'm not affraid of pillar/action bedding myself. Not affraid of buying a lesser model if it's cost effective and yields the same results. Looking forward to your experienced advise. Thanks much.

geargrinder
12-07-2014, 03:12 PM
What's your budget?

What's your purpose? Fun or competition?

I'd lean toward buying or mimicking a Model 12 F-class. PTA, 30" bull barrel, stock that will work with bench rests/bags.

powderburnz
12-07-2014, 03:21 PM
What's your budget?

What's your purpose? Fun or competition?

I'd lean toward buying or mimicking a Model 12 F-class. PTA, 30" bull barrel, stock that will work with bench rests/bags.

I'd like to stay under 800 before glass and extras. I don't compete, only with myself. Sorry I never mentioned that I don't plan on changing the stock to a benchrest stock. The style I want to shoot is bipod and sand bag rear.

Robinhood
12-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Buy a used action, get a used BR stock, decide what projectile you plan on using and get with Sin/Jim@Apache/Jim@Northland/Shillen/Pacnor/etc... and have them cut a match chamber throated for the bullet, pic up a 16or 20x super sniper, a good base and rings. Go shoot.

Steelhead
12-07-2014, 04:27 PM
If it were me I'd find a used rifle, fit a nice pre-fit barrel varmint'ish profile from 26 to 30 and depending on wants slap it into a aftermarket stock like a Choat tactical.
Should be able to do that for $800ish or less and have a rifle that capable of 1000 or more depending on caliber.

powderburnz
12-07-2014, 06:35 PM
^^^^^Not sure where to find a used rifle/action. I live in deer hunting country here, rifles hold their value pretty good. Let alone finding a Savage accutrigger in .308 with a bull barrel. I don't hand load, so there's that. I know what you're thinking, "no consistency to 1000 with factory loads". I hear you. One step at a time. What do you think about the Savage 10 CP?.

reynoldsfamily3
12-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Actions and rifles both come up on the classifieds here regularly.

LoneWolf
12-07-2014, 09:20 PM
You have to become a paid member in order to view the classifieds. It's definitely worth it as you get access to a lot of other useful info as well.

charb52
12-08-2014, 12:30 AM
^^^^^Not sure where to find a used rifle/action. I live in deer hunting country here, rifles hold their value pretty good. Let alone finding a Savage accutrigger in .308 with a bull barrel. I don't hand load, so there's that. I know what you're thinking, "no consistency to 1000 with factory loads". I hear you. One step at a time. What do you think about the Savage 10 CP?.

+1 on buying an action. there was just a stevens 200 short action on here that sold for $250. just gotta watch the classifieds like a hawk. theres alos quite a few .308 barrels that go up for sale as well. as for teh factory ammo theres companies like Eagle Eye Precision Ammo that will shoot 1000yds no problem

http://www.eagleeyeammo.com/308-win-175gr-hpbt/