PDA

View Full Version : case sizing

rjtfroggy
04-24-2010, 11:42 AM
This has probably been discussed before but what is needed to turn 243 or 308 cases into 260.
I have a RCBS fl die set & a case neck trimmer die anything else needed.Any other dies or tools needed to do this, or just lube them up good and send through the FL die.

trappst
04-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Could be done with your FL die but due to the fairly large step involved, it would be best to do it in steps. Obviously, a bushing die would be easiest for necking down but there are other ways.

Also, brass with thin out while necking up and thicken when necking down. Necking up would be best accomplished with a tapered expander and plenty of case lube.

Necking down can also be accomplished with other dies you may already have. Just gotta think a bit and experiment. For example, you might be able to use a seating die for a 243 or 260 with the seating plug removed to make a first step from 308. Get the idea?

Dinosdeuce
04-24-2010, 01:56 PM
I bought a bag of Winchester 7mm-08 brass to try when I couldn't get any 260 locally. I lubed the necks good and re sized in a FL 260 die. After once fired I necksized and have not noticed a difference in accuracy. I do keep them separated from the 260 brass. Will use only when I don't have any regular 260 brass.