PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for shooting the 105 amax in .243

Pages : 1 [2]

Luke45
02-02-2015, 04:13 PM
what type of distance will you be shooting handi rifle???? under 300 yards they shuold all be fine but over that with lower impact velocities the Amax and berger will shine!!

bvil
02-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Grafs, Cabela's and Midway all show 105 A-Max in stock.

handirifle
02-02-2015, 11:49 PM
Where I hunt on private land (not mine) I have had opportunities at about 425, but didn't have time for a shot in that particular event. At the time I had my '06 loaded with 168gr TTSX's at about 2950. Power was not an issue in that case, and I would have taken a shot had the buck stood still, but he just kept walking. He was looking over his shoulder a lot, so I am sure something had him nervous.

For the most part though, my shots will be around 300 or less, in which case, yes, any of the bullets I mentioned will get the job done. In fact I believe at 300 or less the Nosler is probably a better bullet. Someday I would like to have the $$$ to build a long range 243, like with a 7 twist barrel at 24-26" (not a bull barrel) most likely varmint weight, and try any an every long distance bullet available for the 6mm. I most likely would end up with a 24". I know a little more speed could be had from longer, but it would have to still be a hunting gun. I had one Savage 12 and traded it off. No use for a dedicated paper puncher, especially a 26" bull barreled 223. Seems like an oxymoron to me.