PDA

View Full Version : barrel markings

MDM
04-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Just curios...on the aftermarket barrels, are there any markings on them that say who made the barrel, what caliber etc. Does Shilen/McGowen/Douglas/Brux engrave there names on the barrel somewhere?

Blue Avenger
04-24-2010, 10:20 AM
nothing on the sides. some are stamped on the chamber end with a few numbers for id. twist or dia.

82boy
04-24-2010, 10:56 AM
If you buy a blank, or a barrel chambered by the barrel maker it may say what size the bore is, the caliber, twist rate, the neck diameter, and other information on the chamber end, and that is about it. They may place a code or initials as mentioned before.

After a blank is chambered that information can be cut off, but sometime the person doing the chambering may add information back on the chamber, or down the side of the barrel after it is chambered. (SSS has a etching machine, and from time to time they will use it on the side of a barrel for a personal touch. My long range rifle they put "Shilen Ratchet Twist 6x47 Lapua," on one side of the barrel, and "Sharp Shooters Supply" on the other. It looks nice.)

To answer you question, no barrel maker that I know places there name on the barrel. One of the reason why is it is harder to make the lettering line up with the action. The smith would have to clock the barrel (Like it is done with iron sites.) to make the lettering line up. Another reason is personal preference, some people don't like writing on their barrel, the way to simplify it is to just leave it off.

TOO Builder
04-24-2010, 11:13 AM
I'll add that my McGowen prefit came with a small ingraving of 6.5x55 in three places close to the threads. I had it rechambered to 6.5x55AI and now the nut partially covers it up.

The Pac Nor I just bought from Armed in Utah has what looks like a piece of silver colored tape with ".223AI 12 Twist" in black letters located close to the threads. Maybe AIU can chime in on that, not sure if he did it or Pac Nor. When the barrel is installed and head spaced on my action it is on the bottom side out of sight.