PDA

View Full Version : Changing a Bolt

reynoldsfamily3
12-02-2014, 11:20 PM
I am having my action timed and trued b Fred at SSS. If I want to change calibers after that, what parts of the bolt can I change while maintaining the benefit of the T&T job? Can I change any of it?

Thanks for any advice

Bill

olddav
12-03-2014, 12:16 AM
I don't know a thang about this but I would think you can't change the bolt head or body. I will be watching this thread, looks like a good opertuininty to learn something.

bootsmcguire
12-03-2014, 12:18 AM
I have not had this done, but this question has come up here on the boards before. IIRC the consensus was (by people who have had it done) that you were not supposed to change the bolt head because the bolt head's lugs were trued in the T&T process and changing the head would remove some of the benefits of the T&T job.

Someone double check me on this, but I am fairly sure that was the answer. Not totally sure about other bolt parts, but I would expect that you don't want to change them unless they fail for some reason.

foxx
12-03-2014, 12:21 AM
I think you're both right.

sharpshooter
12-03-2014, 01:39 AM
Changing out the bolt head will have no ill effect on the timing. Bolt heads are the most consistant component in the whole assembly.

Steelhead
12-03-2014, 02:44 PM
I changed bolt heads and just had to set headspace.

reynoldsfamily3
12-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Thank you all for the answers so far. Would there be a benefit to using a PTG or other "trued" bolt head over a factory one. I have seen some threads debating the benefit of "trued" bolt heads, but never an answer on using one a trued action.

foxx
12-03-2014, 04:50 PM
I don't know if it is better to go with PTG for your new bolt head, but just to be clear... for those who might not be aware... "Sharpshooter" is Fred at SSS. :)
You can be sure that if he says his T&T is not compromised by later changing the bolt head, than there's the answer to your first question, anyways. :)

bootsmcguire
12-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Changing out the bolt head will have no ill effect on the timing. Bolt heads are the most consistant component in the whole assembly.

Looks like my memory was a Lil off. I was hoping Fred would see this and give us a definite answer. Thanks Fred.

reynoldsfamily3
12-03-2014, 06:48 PM
I figured Fred would know best, I was hoping he would chime in. I really appreciate the help from everyone.