PDA

View Full Version : New to reloading

Pages : 1 [2]

Slapp
12-13-2014, 08:46 PM
I just started reloading myself, fired my first twenty five rounds of 308 this morning. I am ecstatic, happy and learned a lot today. I am using the Lee anniversary kit, really pleased with it. However; I would recommend reading a few books first, it was a full 9 months till I gave birth to the first round. I created 5 different loads starting low and working my way up. Time to load some more with what I've learned and start tweeking.

44magleo
12-21-2014, 08:50 PM
I agree with most of what has been said. Reading manuals is a very good place to start. I like the Lyman , the Hornady, the Lee and Sierra books. The Lee has a lot of info the others don't. Lead bullets mostly.
They all are good books. You may find some through your library.
I have been loading since the mid 70's. I have used tools of many brands. I have had an RCBS Rockchucker press, A Lyman Trueline JR press, Dies of many makers, RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Lee. Lyman tong tools in several calibers. Lyman loaders, the kind you use a hammer with. Lee hand press.
I currently load on a Lee Challanger breech lock press. I'm using mostly Lee dies. I load for just a few cartridges, 44mag, 270 Win, 280 REM, soon to be 250 savage, currently rebarreling a savage 11.
On the Lee powder measure it seems accurate enough, but seems to leak more than I like. I picked up a Lyman #55 measure for a good price off Ebay. The Lee scale is not a bad scale just not very big. It only weighs 100 grs, ok for powder but not bullets in the 180 to 300 gr range. I picked up a Lyman pro 1000 of Ebay.
I agree that the Lee deburring tool is crap, so get a good one. I do like the Lee ergonomic hand prime tool. Better than any press or bench mounted primer tool. I like their case trimmers, can't screw things up with one.
So shop Ebay for your Reloading tools you can save some money. Don't go over board at first, stick with the basics. Once you learn the basics you can try some of the fancier tools.
Just a few things to think about.
Leo

Robinhood
12-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Speaking of saving money. I am going to send you a pm with a link to get a RCBS Rockchucker reloading press for a great price. If I posted here they would be sold out in 30 minutes.

Balljoint
12-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Get yourself a Hornady or RCBS loading manual, the Rockchucker kit will get you started but you do need a top end powder scale as a RCBS 1500 will never need any other.
Hornady has a kit too change a rockchucker press from a single stage to a press you can change out dies in sceonds with no resetting setups look for hornady #04409 conversion kit,remove the large nut on top of the press and spin in the kit pieces if needed get #044093 die bushing kit if needed for more rifle or pistol calipers should get you started on your way.