PDA

View Full Version : Stevens LA centerfeed stock options?

uad7116
09-12-2009, 02:02 AM
Just picked up a new Stevens 200 LA and was wondering who all makes stocks for the LA centerfeed actions? Thanks Kris

jpdown
09-12-2009, 11:33 AM
The action hole spacing (5.0") did not change on the long actions when Savage went from stagger feed to center feed. So you can go with any number of aftermarket stocks. The magazine well may be a little oversized in a stagger feed stock. You will need to do some dremel work on the stock to cut a groove for the L-clip to work. Or do away with the L-Clip. Put a business card between the bolt and lips of the centerfeed magazine. Tape magazine to the action in the proper position. Put epoxy putty in the four corners of the magazine well to build a base. Assemble rifle pushing magazine into soft epoxy putty (don't forget release agent. When hard, use dremel to clean up excess. Use Velcro on the sides of magazine and stock well for extra support.

borg
09-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Okay...so I can get one of the stocks with the aluminum bedding blocks and just epoxy the magazine into place? Because I'd REALLY like to get my gun out of the tupperware.

jpdown
09-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Not sure which stock you're looking at with aluminum bedding blocks. But it's that simple with a Boyd's, Bell and Carlson, or similar medium priced stocks. Both SSS and Stockad Gunstocks have LA center feed stocks available that would require minimum fitting work. I've got a LA Stockade center feed stock that is very nice. THe Stockade money saver would be a good way to go if you are willing to do a little finish and painting work.

borg
09-15-2009, 01:11 AM
Stockade sounds like a winner, but elk season opens on the 25th of October. The flimsy forend on my stock is affecting accuracy, and until that gets remedied my 30-06 is a 200 yard hunting rifle. Just fine for not hunting elk somewhere other than Montana. ;D I'd be better off carrying my .303, which shoots 2 moa with iron sights and mild recoil. But if I am going to carry my .303, then why the #@$! did I buy a 30-06?

jpdown
09-15-2009, 05:53 AM
Based on your time constraints, I believe a Bell & Carlson Carblite Classic with a do-it-yourself pillar/bedding job would solve the the flier problems your getting with the tupperware stock. I would also consider a Savage LA hardwood or walnut stock. Many don't realize the weight of the hardwood stock is only 3 to 4 more ounces than a tupperware stock. With a bedding job they are a good choice and will improve accuracy. There are numerous aftermarket laminated stocks that will work with a long action. They are a little heavier than the options mentioned above.

borg
09-15-2009, 02:50 PM
I just went ahead and ordered from Stockade.

In the meantime, I'm going to attempt to stiffen the forearm and bed the action. I think I have a pretty good handle on the extra steps required to bed an injection molded stock, so I figure I'll give it a shot. Hopefully that will help.

shelbyfan
09-20-2009, 05:40 AM
Just to give you another option to contemplate. I did a minor bedding job on my factory 200 tupperware stock, 300 win mag, and it shoots better than my B&C. If you are in a hurry bed the front and rear action screws and see what happens. I am going to bed my B&C to see if it will shoot better, cuz that just drives me nuts.