PDA

View Full Version : Anyone already fuigured this out?

HEAVY DUTY
12-01-2014, 01:07 AM
I have a 110 fcp in 338LM that is printing the same pattern every 3 rounds, 2 nice and tight 1/2" at 200 yds and 1 flyer 1.5" to 2" away, in no paticular order the flyer can be shot 1,2 or 3 and i can do that all day in repetion, i noticed this during load development the number of shots fired during a string is not my concern i know bigger strings will prouduce more data but that does not change the fact that 1 of 3 will be a flyer. Really got me stumped any thoughts are welcome thanks!

Things i have already done.1 a ton of load work<all the usual stuff difrent oal powders you know the drill. 2 remove stock check for obivous problems re torque action screws. 3 swap leopould vx3 to night force and back to vx3. 4 Remove and re install rail with locktite, lap tps scope rings locktite scope in the rings.

short round
12-01-2014, 01:21 AM
Might be sling studs hitting bags.

Rooster 50
12-01-2014, 02:13 AM
Crown OK?

HEAVY DUTY
12-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Well actually i havent checked the crown, I guess i should have mentioned its a 338LM so its got a brake but but dosent mean couldent be somthing going on there i will pull that brake and check into that.

HEAVY DUTY
12-01-2014, 10:48 PM

good thought but this gun has a ton of relief in the barrel channel the actoin is the only thing touching the stock. I was leaning toward a mecanical issue due to the repetiton something moving here and back due to recoil but now i am not shure there couldent be some type of stress issue in the steel of the barrel but that is a $$$ proposition unless there is a way to test that theory without buying another barrel

Rooster 50
12-02-2014, 12:07 AM
That being the case the first thing I wouldo is put a bedding point at the end of the stock. No pressure just a snug fit. I like to use clear silicone for this. It makes it easy to remove if you want to take it out.

sharpshooter
12-02-2014, 02:22 AM
Have you chonographed your loads?

HEAVY DUTY
12-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Rooster never heard that one but makes sense should definitely change the harmonics a bit and its cheap i am going to pull this gun back out out the stock and check the bedding block one more time with some prussian blue to highlite anything that was not obvious the first time i looked at it i will put some silicone up front when i go back together with it. What are youre thoughts on bedding this gun eventhough hs says you dont need to?

HEAVY DUTY
12-02-2014, 04:09 PM
Have you chonographed your loads?

Berger 250G TAC OTM Hybrids 97 G Retumbo 3.755oal running a thou to thou and a half on concentricity out ou a forester die set were running right at 2930fps in this rifle, that was about 80 rounds agao

Rooster 50
12-02-2014, 07:51 PM
Rooster never heard that one but makes sense should definitely change the harmonics a bit and its cheap i am going to pull this gun back out out the stock and check the bedding block one more time with some prussian blue to highlite anything that was not obvious the first time i looked at it i will put some silicone up front when i go back together with it. What are youre thoughts on bedding this gun eventhough hs says you dont need to?

I like to to that with anything that I feel is not working with a full float. I have an old school gunsmith(he studied with PO Ackley in the 50's) and he swears by it. Especially with lighter barrels. It worked wonders on the rifle I built with one of those really whippy 280AI barrels that we were talking about on here. Took my groups down under an inch and more importantly no more flyers.
I like to put a glob of silicone at the forward point of the stock and let it cure quite a bit but not totally. Then I grease up the contact point on the barrel and gently bed it back into the stock.
The point is not to exert any upward pressure but to simply stabilize it so that is doesn't move around when it starts to heat up.

Be advised this is no miracle cure but sometimes it does work. If not it comes out real easily. If it does work then you can always consider using a more durable substance to achieve these results.

243LPR
12-02-2014, 08:35 PM
What I want to know is how far from the rifle was the chrono?

HEAVY DUTY
12-02-2014, 11:15 PM
What I want to know is how far from the rifle was the chrono?

10ft

sharpshooter
12-03-2014, 01:31 AM
What is your extreme spead?

memilanuk
12-03-2014, 03:49 PM

good thought but this gun has a ton of relief in the barrel channel the actoin is the only thing touching the stock.

You might want to re-visit this. The amount of clearance in the barrel channel has really nothing to do with the sling stud hitting the front rest or digging into the bags.

HEAVY DUTY
12-04-2014, 01:07 PM
What is your extreme spead?

i wanted to get you that info which, i had written on a envelope instead of in my book for whatever reason think i forgot it that day, cant find it been looking around for 2 days. Let me get you some fresh numbers, my apologies i know you cant help if i cant get you accurate info. i remembr thinking it was lo enough i wasnt alarmed. if somthing is over about 30fps i will usualy take note. It may take a few days- its raining down here

HEAVY DUTY
12-04-2014, 01:31 PM
[/COLOR]

You might want to re-visit this. The amount of clearance in the barrel channel has really nothing to do with the sling stud hitting the front rest or digging into the bags.
Ok i understand that now,i thought he was thinking the studs may be toutching the barrel through the stock but he was talking aboout a p.o.a shift thanks for clearing that up. I am coming off a rem 260 that you just sit on the bags it does its thing, this 338 seems to need a little more work to keep it on target. a i find myself trying to find a way to keep it from bouncing around on the bench. i have only put a few boxes through this gun and i havent ruled me out as the problem yet but i have some other stuff that i can shoot really well with, anything over 1 moa really dings up the pride a bit though.

rotts4u
12-25-2014, 11:44 PM
I posted a very similar thread to this last year related to my Savage 110HS in 338. My shot that drifts away is not quite 1.5" away but rather .75 or so. I still get sub MOA groups but with the other two shots basically one hole I feel like there is more accuracy potential there. I had mine completely re-barreled with a new PAcnor barrel and had them install it on the action so that is not a question. Then I also bedded the entire stock to make sure that was not an issue there either. I still have the same pattern of 2 shots out of three touching and one in a separate place and just as yours, it can be the second shot that strays or the 1st or third.

I am interested in other ideas because I feel sure this rifle is capable of .5" groups I just have to figure this bimodal pattern out.