PDA

View Full Version : bored yesterday...

LongRange
11-30-2014, 06:11 PM
So I built a case drying box...I have about $20 bucks in it. The top is peg board I had left over after building my bench and I made two tops, one for 300wm cases and one for 260 cases. A 1/2" drill bit was perfect for the 300 cases and a 29/64s was perfect for the 260 cases. I used a 2" hole saw for the front and will use the wifes hair dryer set In the hole to dry the cases after annealing. You could also just leave the bottom off and set the box over the heater vent on the floor....unless you have a dog like mine that drags everything she can get ahold of out the dog door. The box is 11-5/8"x 11-5/8"x3" and the tops hold 100 cases.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/photo1-21.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo1-21.jpg.html)

roscoe69
11-30-2014, 09:48 PM
that's cool

LongRange
12-14-2014, 10:25 AM
All most forgot...i used this yesterday and it works better than id hoped...i dried 100 cases in about 15 or 20 minutes with the hair drier on low. I checked the cases with a digital temp gauge and they were right at 98-104 deg and you can feel the warm air blowing through the flash holes so no more waiting to prep and load cases after annealing or checking case capacity.

barrel-nut
12-14-2014, 02:08 PM
Very nice!! That's a great idea. Good solution to the annoying problem that has mostly kept me from bothering with annealing. Wait a minute -That's great- all I need is ANOTHER project, and ANOTHER STEP in my already-too long reloading process.. Lol it's all good

LongRange
12-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Very nice!! That's a great idea. Good solution to the annoying problem that has mostly kept me from bothering with annealing. Wait a minute -That's great- all I need is ANOTHER project, and ANOTHER STEP in my already-too long reloading process.. Lol it's all good

Lol...if i had a lot of money id buy new brass every time it needed shoulders set back,annealed and cleaned...or hire someone to prep my brass...i need to buy a stainless media tumbler im still cleaning my brass with steel wool.

RiverRider
12-14-2014, 06:11 PM
Having that drying setup is perfect for stainless tumbling. You may as well dive into it. The results are fantastic.

LongRange
12-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Yeah i think so...my buddy has one and its pretty impressive how well it cleans cases...what SS tumblers are you guys using? Ive been eying the Tumblers tumbler.

RiverRider
12-14-2014, 10:50 PM
I got my setup here:

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

At the time they were selling kits with the Thumbler's Tumbler, which is a very good piece of equipment. They still offer the Thumbler's, but I think separately only and it looks as though the kits include a new design which I suspect is every bit as good. If you go this route, get the media separator too. Another useful item is a large and powerful magnet for dealing with stainless pins that try to get away (I know it's stainless steel media, but it's magnetic...and that's a good thing!).

I know lots of guys don't give two hoots and a belch what their brass looks like, but I just do and I suspect I'm not alone. Besides, clean brass is easier to inspect...and you with stainless tumbling you get brass that looks brand new, inside and out---including primer pockets. I'll never go back to walnut and corncob.

LongRange
12-15-2014, 06:05 PM
thanks RiverRider that looks just like the tumbler my buddy has and is very well built if it is the same...thats on my list if we get bonuses this year.

RiverRider
12-15-2014, 07:19 PM
Hope it works out for ya!

Lbass
12-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Midway has the Frankfurt arsenal tumbler for 175.00 and it comes with the SS pins. I also believe it is bigger than the red Thumblers tumbler. Mine will hold almost 1000 pcs of 223 brass and they will go from incredibly nasty and corroded to clean in about 2hrs... Pictures would help describe how much better it is than the old vibratory hone I was using.

LongRange
12-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Midway has the Frankfurt arsenal tumbler for 175.00 and it comes with the SS pins. I also believe it is bigger than the red Thumblers tumbler. Mine will hold almost 1000 pcs of 223 brass and they will go from incredibly nasty and corroded to clean in about 2hrs... Pictures would help describe how much better it is than the old vibratory hone I was using.

ive been looking at the FA tumbler too as its quite a bit cheaper that the rebel 17 but the rebel is a very well built tumbler so im still undecided but am leaning more towards the rebel.