PDA

View Full Version : New reloader _What am I missing?

Pages : [1] 2

McKinneyMike
04-23-2010, 10:32 AM
A beginning reloader. I will be loading for my new Savage 25-06 with Shilen Select Match barrel and SSS Competition trigger. I have a RCBS 10-10 powder scale and powder scoops (both donated to me by my father in law). Below are the items that I am about to order, but wanted to run it by you guys to make sure that i have not forgotten anything (other than powder and primers of course)

Forster Co-Ax Single Stage Press
Lee Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool
Redding Primer Pocket Uniformer Tool
L.E. Wilson Case Trimmer
L.E. Wilson Chamfer and Deburring Tool
Redding #5 Powder Trickler
Satern Powder Funnel -Aluminum and Brass -25 Caliber
RCBS Case Lube Pad
Hornady Unique Case Lube
Imperial Case Sizing Wax 2 oz
Frankford Arsenal Case Neck Lubricator
Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit Reloading Tray
MTM Deluxe Flip-Top Ammo Box with Handle
Sierra "5th Edition Rifle and Pistol Manual of Reloading Data" Reloading Manual
Sierra Varminter Bullets 25 Caliber (257 Diameter) 87 Grain Spitzer Box of 100
Sierra MatchKing Bullets 25 Caliber (257 Diameter) 100 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail

jlcpls
04-23-2010, 10:34 AM
was their a scale on there anywhere?

oops, saw it in the opening paragraph.

Nevermind....

82boy
04-23-2010, 10:52 AM
I would steer you away from a Forester press, I would look at RCBS, Lyman, or Redding. Looks like you have some redundant lubing stuff. I would just uses the Imperial sizing wax and skip the case lube, the case neck lubricator, and the lube pad.

A few things you don't have one the list, 1. a set of dies. 2. a shell holder (Forester used special shell holders, the others use a standard type.) 3. a case holder for the Wilson cutter. 4. a shell holder for the lee auto prime. You will also need powder and primers.

Skip the high dollar stuff like a Saturn funnel, Redding primer pocket cleaner, powder trickle, and wilson deburing tool, they don't work any better than the lower cost stuff.

Use the extra money to buy a powder measure. (Throw away the scopes.) Many people have had good luck with a Lee perfect powder measurer, it does a good job, and it is cheap.

The Sierra book is a great manual. You have a great scale. Don't get stuck on a couple of bullets, try different stuff.

McKinneyMike
04-23-2010, 11:05 AM
I would steer you away from a Forester press, I would look at RCBS, Lyman, or Redding. Looks like you have some redundant lubing stuff. I would just uses the Imperial sizing wax and skip the case lube, the case neck lubricator, and the lube pad.

First what is wrong with the Forester press? Everyone that I know that is a serious shooter, referred me specifically to the Forester or the Redding. I see that I did get a little carried away with the lubes there didn't I :)

A few things you don't have one the list, 1. a set of dies. 2. a shell holder (Forester used special shell holders, the others use a standard type.) 3. a case holder for the Wilson cutter. 4. a shell holder for the lee auto prime. You will also need powder and primers.

I have Redding dies already. The Forester does not need shell holders. They use a universal system with a jaw system that is self centering. I will need to add the case holder for the Wilson and the Lee. Thank you for the reminder. I know that I will need primers and powder(which i noted in my message :))

Skip the high dollar stuff like a Saturn funnel, Redding primer pocket cleaner, powder trickle, and wilson deburing tool, they don't work any better than the lower cost stuff.

Roger the note on the lower cost stuff.

Use the extra money to buy a powder measure. (Throw away the scopes.) Many people have had good luck with a Lee perfect powder measurer, it does a good job, and it is cheap.

I was told to never trust a powder measure for accurate charges. I was told that the charges can vary significantly and affect group sizes. This is the first mention to use a powder measure, other than a Harrell or Sinclair.

The Sierra book is a great manual. You have a great scale. Don't get stuck on a couple of bullets, try different stuff.

Just needed something to start with for now :) I will try some other stuff soon. Thanks for the input.

Uncle Jack
04-23-2010, 11:13 AM
".....I would steer you away from a Forester press,?"

SAY WHAT??

The Forster Co-Ax Single Stage Press is probably the finest press on the market. Why should anyone steer clear of it?

uj

McKinneyMike
04-23-2010, 11:17 AM
That was my thinking as well. I looked at the Redding and the Forester and really thought the Co-Ax was just a better press overall.

mopar440
04-23-2010, 11:20 AM
i would use a different press also that pretty high for single stage 2 times my turret price rcbs, lyman, lee, and redding make great presses nothing against the forester but would have better use for the extra 100 it cost

i didnt notice a neck turner dont know if you plan on doing this now or in the future i have wilson case trimmer and love it but if did over i buy the foster with neck attachments i use the K&M for a turner its a great product

the lee perfect powder measurer is a great product it say plus or mins .2 grain mine usually dead on maybe 1 under on occasion

rjtfroggy
04-23-2010, 12:10 PM
You forgot a digital caliper to measure c.o.a.l.

Hammer
04-23-2010, 12:23 PM

Get two CO-AX presses.

82boy
04-23-2010, 12:56 PM
First what is wrong with the Forester press? Everyone that I know that is a serious shooter, referred me specifically to the Forester or the Redding. I see that I did get a little carried away with the lubes there didn't I :)

One, it is a lot more money. two, it is a single stage press.(Nothing wrong with that but heck why not get a turret press) three, it don't do anything better than a standard press. Four, it is stuck in a reloading room. (I prefer a press that I can take to the range.) five, it does require special shell holder plates. IMO I just think there are better presses out there. To do accurate reloading you don't need the most expensive press. At $249 Cabala's price, I think for $25 dollars more ($275) you can get a Harrell's Combo Press, and it will run circles around the Forester press. It mounts to a bench, it does both kinds of dies, it is light weight, and top notch.

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php?crn=205&rn=386&action=show_detail

I was told to never trust a powder measure for accurate charges. I was told that the charges can vary significantly and affect group sizes. This is the first mention to use a powder measure, other than a Harrell or Sinclair.

Who ever told you this, I would seriously question their thoughts. You are more likely to have off size powder loads with scopes. The old time BR shooters used scopes, but back then they did not have much choice, lets step out of the 1960's and use technology. (I have heard the tales of the older shooters taking a 222 and fill the case up with powder and scrape the top off with a Popsicle stick ,and seat a bullet, but I have never seen it done. Every BR shooter I have ever seen uses a powder measurer.) With scopes they can be accurate but you must know the way to use them. If you pack a charge in them, or just scope out some power it will never be right. An average person that uses a powder measure can usually be within a 10th (+or-) of a grain. This is why you have a scale, check the power that is thrown. Some people check each load, and set the measure to throw low, and then trickle up to the right charge. To add to this unless you are an highly experienced shooter shooting a highly modified rifle (flat 3 in wide stock on a rest set up, with a custom chambered barrel) you will never notice a couple of tenths difference between loads. The Lee perfect powder measure is no Harrell's, but heck it does a good enough job for the average loader. (I am willing to bet most people could not tell the difference.)

This is just my thoughts from my experiences, I have done a lot of reloading. All I am saying is spend your money how you want, but in the accuracy game you can not just trow money at it and expect the best. Sometimes the lower price equivalents are just as good if not better than the higher cost stuff.

I would also suggest you buy a book called "The ABC's or reloading." Do not just rely on one persons thoughts on reloading, Don't be afraid try new and different stuff and find out what works and what doesn't. In closing good luck, just be safe, and happy reloading

McKinneyMike
04-23-2010, 01:03 PM
You forgot a digital caliper to measure c.o.a.l.

I already have those, b ut thank you for the reminder :)

McKinneyMike
04-23-2010, 01:08 PM
From the MidwayUSA web site:

The Forster Co-Ax Single Stage press is one of the finest presses manufactured today. Loaded with features not found on other presses such as "Snap in and Snap out" die changing, three times the mechanical advantage of ordinary "C" presses, easy right or left hand operation, primer seater that is fully adjustable to hold brass cases and adjust primer seating depth and self-actuating shellholder jaws that open and close with movement of the press handle eliminating the need to use standard shellholders. Standard jaws are included that fit the majority of standard calibers.

Dinosdeuce
04-24-2010, 02:26 PM
From the MidwayUSA web site:

The Forster Co-Ax Single Stage press is one of the finest presses manufactured today. Loaded with features not found on other presses such as "Snap in and Snap out" die changing, three times the mechanical advantage of ordinary "C" presses, easy right or left hand operation, primer seater that is fully adjustable to hold brass cases and adjust primer seating depth and self-actuating shellholder jaws that open and close with movement of the press handle eliminating the need to use standard shellholders. Standard jaws are included that fit the majority of standard calibers.

McKinneyMike,

82boy gave you spot on advice that I agree with 100%. Been down that road and wish I spent my money more wisely, but your $$ do as you like. I highlighted 2 things in your post. 1st all manufactures will say that. 2nd you are sizing cases and seating bullets not pressing in bearings. How much leverage do you need?

It is no doubt a really good press but for less money there are other "finest presses manufactured today". Personally I use an RCBS Rockchucker for all but my .223 loads. For them I use a Dillon 550B. Had the Rockchucker since the early 80's and couldn't begin to tell you how rounds it has loaded. The Dillon loads for 4 pistol loads and .223. Had it since '90 and it could use a going over by them. It has some wear the Rockchucker doesn't.

just adding my .02 since you asked.

Dino

McKinneyMike
04-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Thank you everyone. I totally understand that in the end it is a personal decision to purchase what ever you feel is good for each person. My father in law has a Rockchucker and I have worked with him many times in loading cartridges with it. In this case, I simply like the Forster press for a couple of reasons that are not really important, but are handy (the primer disposal and the quick change die system). I was asking more about what items I might have overlooked more than insight into what I was buying. Like rifles and different calibers, we all have reasons for what we buy and use. Maybe it is truly a waste of my money to buy the Forster Co-Ax, but it is what I want. In the end, it is my choice. Thanks again for everyones input. Just placed my order with Midway.

BrentWin
04-24-2010, 03:53 PM
An 8 pound keg of RL22. Save yourself time and money. It is the 25-06 powder.

McKinneyMike
04-24-2010, 06:11 PM
An 8 pound keg of RL22. Save yourself time and money. It is the 25-06 powder.

I will be picking up RL-22 and a keg of H4831SC as well. Finding primers is the real issue right now! Has anyone used the WOLF primers and what were your experiences with them? I hear that some people seem to have issues with them not firing sometimes.

Hammer
04-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Let me add to my own endorsement of the CO-AX press...

Bob Hagel, technical writer for Handloader magazine for umpteen years, used a CO-AX press in his work.

He was experimenting everyday with rounds as diverse as the 17 Remington to the 460 wildcats plus all the handgun rounds you might imagine.

Besides serious loads for routinely hunting Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and Alaska, he was writing monthly columns on the technical aspects of handloading as well as a few books on the topic.

Hagel could have had any presses he wanted from the manufacturers for the asking.

He used a CO-AX.

While I am normally associated with Dillon Blue, do have a Bonanza Red CO-AX too.

McKinneyMike
04-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks Hammer. I am not one to spend willy-nilly, but I simply felt that the Co-Ax was the best press from all that I had looked and handled. DO I think that it will make me a better shooter? Probably not any better than I would shoot with a Rockchucker or Lee Classic. I simply like the way that the Co-Ax works better to me. $100.00 amortized over the next 20 plus years (I hope to live and shoot that long at least) is nothing. I will still build the next rifle I want whether I bought the Co-Ax or not :)

EFBell
04-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Get what you want. You will sooner or later so you may as well spend the money once and be satisfied.

McKinneyMike
04-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Well I bought "what I think that I want", so I hope that I am happy. I guess time will tell. It is all the dies, brass, powder, primers and bullets that will eclipse it in short order! Hell the press is really the cheapest part of reloading.

I may have a lot of question for you guys shortly :)