PDA

View Full Version : extraction bind, AccuTrigger questionj

AveragEd
11-30-2014, 11:44 AM
I recently purchased a new Model 12BVSS in 6.5-284 Norma that exhibits the feeling of a bind when drawing the bolt rearward to extract fired cases. If you withdraw it at a normal speed, it binds and sticks in place but if you withdraw it slowly, it moves freely. It also moves smoothly regardless of speed with no empty case in the gun. Is the ejector spring tension too high? I plan to remove the ejector so if that is the cause, the condition will be cleared when I do that. The brass cases do not appear scuffed from a rough chamber area and my borescope doesn't show any problem areas.

I'm also not feeling the love for the AccuTrigger. I think it is a great concept for most uses but in a rifle to be used almost entirely as a target rifle shot from a bench, it leaves something to be desired. This is the first Savage I bought for myself - I bought my daughter a youth version of the Model 10 some years ago - and I admit to being accustomed to Remington Model 700s, as I have around two dozen of them. The Savage trigger can be adjusted to a light pull weight, which is nice, but when you get it down under two pounds, I have had the rifle discharge before I was ready because you have to move that safety blade back and unless you do that V-E-R-Y slowly, your finger just bumps the trigger hard enough to break the sear engagement. I tried locking the AccuTrigger blade rearward but the action won't cock that way. There also is some overtravel that I haven't found a way to adjust out. I'm seeing a Timney trigger in this gun's future if no one here has a way to make the factory trigger more benchrest friendly.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

Ed