PDA

View Full Version : decisions on 6.5 creedmoor

arawls88
11-30-2014, 10:52 AM
Wanting to get a Savage in 6.5 creedmoor but my LGS only has them in the trophy hunter. I'm going to drive over today to see if they can order me a model 12 as that's what I really have my heart set on. But my question is this, can I start my build on the trophy hunter base? If I purchased the trophy hunter I would want to immediately replace the stock and would like to step it up to a heavy contour barrel. Can this be easily accomplished? Thanks and sorry for the questions.

stomp442
11-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Yes very easily accomplished. Might end up costing a couple hundred more in the long run but you will definitely have a higher quality product with a match grade barrel and parts. If you were going to build though I would suggest finding the cheapest short action you could get your hands on to start with. Check pawn shops and scour the net for used rifles or actions. The less money you have to spend to get started the better off you will be.

arawls88
11-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks stomp, I believe the trophy hunter was only about 500.00 not including taxes. The 6.5 isn't a real common caliber around my parts so I'm not sure if I'll find one used. I'm heading over there now and I'll report back on my findings. Thanks.

mattri
12-03-2014, 10:40 AM
If you're going to swap out the barrel and stock anyway why not go with a different model? Any short action, or even a long action donor would work wouldn't it? You can probably find an older 12 or even a 200 quite a bit cheaper and use it for a donor action.