PDA

View Full Version : Advice on adding a brake to a 10PC

ssnole
11-30-2014, 12:01 AM
My son just got a used Model 10PC in 308. It is a great rifle, but I would like to cut down on the recoil for him. Unfortunately, this an earlier 10PC without the threaded muzzle. So I have a few questions:

I know most gunsmiths want the action removed from the barrel, but are there methods where the muzzle be threaded with the action attached?

I really don't want the accuracy effected, how difficult is this job for a competent smith?

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in Northeast Florida?

Any brake recommendations? The rifle will be used primarily for hunting, but maybe for long range shooting in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Steelhead
11-30-2014, 12:07 AM
You can look at Witt machine bolt on brakes.
No gunsmiffin needed.
I have one on my 260.
It works well and accuracy was not affected one bit.

geargrinder
11-30-2014, 12:17 AM
Mark the top of the barrel. Spin it off and send it to Ross Schuler. Very quick turn around. Super effective brake. Unbelievable price.

memilanuk
12-03-2014, 02:00 AM
I'd recommend calling the folks @ Benchmark Barrels and ask about their 'Miller' brake. It's an improved version of the Centershot/Muscle brake, with three ports. Two that go back and one that goes straight out to 'shear' the blast so it doesn't hammer the person beside you near as bad. The 'improvement' is the ports also angle up slightly so less raking of debris off the deck ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e43xdn94z26q51z/2014-12-02%2021.50.12.jpg?dl=0

I had one put on my 10PC. Nice fit, matches well.

I had Ross put a brake on another gun of mine. Good turnaround time, and the price is definitely 'right'... but it seemed like the metal was a bit on the 'soft' side - either that or the edges were too sharp. Either way, it deformed slightly under moderate pressure during removal.