PDA

View Full Version : 460 S&W magnum bolt gun

Pages : 1 [2]

dcloco
12-28-2014, 12:27 AM
Congrats! Great project!!!!

Handloader
12-28-2014, 03:31 PM
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd368/Handoader/RimmedAmmoMagazine.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/Handoader/media/RimmedAmmoMagazine.jpg.html)

Hey Boots and Mscott71,
Been following the builds for a while, and would like your feedback. I am in Ohio and have been considering another Savage build, but for a Pistol Cartridge in a Rifle. That said, I have been pondering the whole Rim-Lock issue with the pistol cartridges. Ruger avoids this with the rotary magazine (in the 22lr and 44mag), the AK has an Arc in the magazine, and 22's and pistols use a fully tapered magazine. This idea came to me this morning (and I hope it is original, but it may not be [I am no rocket scientist]). This drawing is NOT to scale. Can one not just modify a magazine with a hard plastic to "force" a taper in a straight -walled magazine. The follower would be to be modified with each end angled as well. The taper in this drawing is exaggerated to convey my idea.
By the way, I was intrigued by turning down the rim on the parent case by Mscott71...great idea!

Your comments would be most welcome....if I am being an idiot, for the love of God--Tell me!
Thanks

bootsmcguire
12-28-2014, 11:12 PM
Handloader, Thanks for your compliments.

The only issue that pops up in my mind about your drawing, is whether or not asking the magazine to follow the two tapers at each end would make it prone to binding a bit. The coil type spring on some Savage followers might allow it, but I would be willing to bet that the leaf type springs Savage also uses would bind up pretty quick. FWIW all that is just speculation on my part. The only way to know for sure is to try one, but the rim locking is really a minor issue, and is prevented by loading the magazine properly. As long as you have the rim 1/8" to 3/8" in front of the rim of the previous cartridge and then slide it back after it is under the magazine's feed lips you will be fine.

Just be sure to pick a "pistol" caliber that is long enough to work with Savage magazines and the extraction systems. The 460 S&W in mscott's build and my 444 Marlin both work due to them being long cases. The 44 Magnum is short enough it would be a real pain to get it to feed or eject I would speculate. I want to try doing a 357 Maximum in the near future and possibly a 327 Federal Magnum (just because I have a blank that needs using and to see if it can be done), but I am betting the 327 is going to be a single shot due to the case length.

snowgetter1
12-29-2014, 12:11 AM
A buddy of mine literally texted me tonight and told me to google the 45 Raptor. Looks like a 308 designed to mimick the 460 S&W. I haven't read all about it yet.
http://www.45raptor.com/45RAPTOR/

DrThunder88
12-29-2014, 01:48 AM
Funny, I was looking at that yesterday myself. The .45 Raptor does look like a good candidate for a project like this, but right now the stuff to make it happen seems as rare as raptor's teeth. I haven't found anyone who chambers Savage barrels yet and headspace gauges are just as hard to find. Heck, even .450 Bushmaster can be difficult to find hardware for, and it's been on the market for five years.

DrThunder88
01-01-2015, 02:33 AM
I forgot to ask: how is the brake attached? If it's threaded, I have to say it's blended perfectly!

scpaul
02-02-2015, 07:20 PM
Would a reamer for something like a .45 acp, or modifiy a Colt 45 or 454 Casul by grinding the rim cutting portion of the reamer off. I'm thinking that some ctg. has the dimensions you need even if you mave to do some mods. and watch how deep you cut the chamber. Paul

mscott71
02-18-2015, 10:00 PM
I forgot to ask: how is the brake attached? If it's threaded, I have to say it's blended perfectly!
Yes, it's threaded

Would a reamer for something like a .45 acp, or modifiy a Colt 45 or 454 Casul by grinding the rim cutting portion of the reamer off. I'm thinking that some ctg. has the dimensions you need even if you mave to do some mods. and watch how deep you cut the chamber. Paul
Not that I've seen. A lot of them are similar, but with the pressure this thing generates I would rather not try to 'billy it up too much.

scpaul
05-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Do you have access to a caniluring tool? I ask because before Hornady marketed the flex tip bullets I wanted to try handloading them and some heavier ones that they weren't selling. I bought some blackpowder bullet/.50 cal. sabots, took the .45 cal. bullet out, cannilured them, and was shooting 250 and 300 gr. bullets in my 460 pistol before they even marketed the 200 gr. flex tip bullets. If you don't have access to a caniluring tool let me know at my e-mail (I check it regularly) neese.paul@yahoo.com (watch out for the dot in my name) and we'll work out you sending me some and I'll put the canilure anywhere you want it. I don't know about your rifle project but I definately needed it for the pistol. I loaded some 395(?)gr. hard cast lead flat nose for a guy that has a S&W Custom Shop 460 with a long barrel (10" - 12"?). He told me that once he got it zeroed that he was killing deer DRT at 200+ yards. I bet that it did hit like a hammer. Anyway get in touch if I can help. Later Ya'll, Paul