PDA

View Full Version : Rifle for the wife

Plowdaddy519
11-28-2014, 01:35 AM
Ok fellas, I took my wife hunting a few weeks ago, and she really likes it. While we didn't see any deer, we still had fun watching squirrels mess around, and being in her first tree stand. The problem is, the only working deer rifle I have right now is my 11VT. Now, I'm built like Sasquatch, so carrying a heavy rifle around doesn't bother me, but it's too heavy for her to want to lug around all day.

Now, my wife is pretty tall for a woman (5'9"ish) so I think a youth rifle may have too short of a LOP, and she REALLY likes my VT, and she seems to really like/trust the .308 round (which to me, trusting your rifle to do the job is almost as important as the rifle's ability to actually do it. If that makes any sense.) So I would really like to stick with the .308, which kinda got me looking at the Hog Hunter rifle. Short barrel, lighter than my VT, and comes in .308. The thought process here is, I could either put a brake on it, as it has a threaded barrel, and put a decent recoil pad on it, or even load up some cast hollow point 30 cal bullets over some 2400 powder moving 1900-2000fps. Shots will be limited to around 100 yards.

If anyone has any input on this, I'm all ears. I want to keep her shooting a Savage, because she's used to the controls on mine, and is very comfortable with the controls.

Thanks guys

darkker
11-28-2014, 02:10 AM
You got a whole lot going on in that post.....

She doesn't want to lug it around all day, but you sat in a tree stand.. Which is it? Lugging or sitting?
She REALLY lines the 11vt, or it's to heavy?
Trusts the 308 rounds, or wants you to change that and use cast?

Decide what you want, then take all of that and throw it in the ocean. Without speaking I possible, ask her what SHE wants, since you are talking about HER rifle; not ours, not yours.

My younger brother doesn't like my 308's recoil, but his 338WM doesn't bother him; he is smaller than your wife. So ask her what she wants.

Plowdaddy519
11-28-2014, 07:31 AM
When I say lug around all day, I meant that we still-hunted 30-40 acres of woods and hills all morning until we made it to the stand, which is at the back end of the property. It overlooks an open little tractor path that the deer cross to get to their bedding area.

When I say she likes my VT, I mean she enjoys shooting it, and actually shoots it pretty well.

And the reason for possibly going to the lower power cast rounds would be because my VT all dressed up is nearing 11.5 pounds, a lightweight rifle set up is in the neighborhood of 7-7.5 probably, so with the difference in weight may increase the perceived recoil enough to where full power loads are uncomfortable for her to shoot.

I do know that it ultimately comes down to what she wants/ likes, but I was just trying to get an idea of what direction to go. Hopefully I cleared some of that up.

foxx
11-28-2014, 11:42 AM
The Hog Hunter is a great rifle and great value, but not lightweight. For example, unloaded, without scope or rings and mount, it is listed at 7.5 lbs. Trophy Hunter XP model 11 is about 7.25 scoped. .308 is not what I consider a heavy recoil cartridge, your wife may disagree, so your plan to work-up reduced loads is reasonable, but her confidence in reduced load 308 might be better placed in a light recoiling .260. Something to consider.
Also, at 5' 9", she's not too tall for the youth model, especially if you hunt in colder climates with heavy coat. I am 6'3" and prefer longer than normal length of pull, but the youth model is perfect for me when wearing a wool vest and heavy jacket.

D.ID
11-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Hog hunter is a great and handy little rifle but if 7.5 lbs is to much weight.........time to hit the gym, get a wider shoulder sling or talk about the range that is possible with a handgun.
While 7.5 lb is not totally featherweight it is close enough to one already that pursuing that possible 1lb shave is probably not enough difference to really make a difference.

foxx
11-28-2014, 01:01 PM
True, D.ID, but the I don't think the HH is all that much lighter than the 11 VT which she has already determined is heavier than she'd like. It might just be a question of balance or expectations of what a big game rifle actually weighs once it is scoped, loaded and slung. Hey, I love the HH, but the youth model is lighter, for sure, and I truly doubt it is too short for her.

JASmith
11-28-2014, 03:10 PM
Stay with the .308 since you are reloading. The cast bullets are an excellent choice but you might also want to consider an ~125 grain jacketed bullet starting out around 2500 fps. That velocity and weight should keep recoil below .243 levels but retain superior killing power.

Are you equipped to get a length of pull measurement for her and check against the youth model? Alternatively, does a nearby gunshop hav one (in any caliber) that she can try shouldering in both summer and winter clothes? It might work OK, and it might also lead you to re-stocking a youth model with a truly good-fitting stock.

Plowdaddy519
11-29-2014, 12:57 AM
An 11vt is over 9lbs from the store I believe, add in my mods to the stock, and a bipod on occasion, and its around 11.5 now.

But yes, we have a Field and Stream store 15 minutes up the road, they have a very good selection of rifles, and the staff there are very helpful. So we'll head there soon to see what fits

mattri
11-29-2014, 09:43 AM
First of all kudos to you for taking your wife hunting.

I am fortunate enough to have a wife who likes to hunt as well and have been in a similar situation. My wife too is tall, about 5' 8" but is pretty slender and doesn't handle recoil well. A 308 is too much for her but she really likes a .243 and as we mostly hunt deer at reasonable ranges we've found the .243 to be more than adequate.

Getting to the store to try different models is a great idea, let her go through whatever she likes, take a little break and revisit a few etc.

If it would fit her well you may want to think about picking up a Stevens 200. They are a fantastic hunting rifle with lots of great features and proven to be very accurate.

basshawg42
11-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Take a look at the lady hunter my sister has one in the 6.5 creedmore and she loves it. Has killed 4 bucks with it , 3 this year one at 350. The creedmore would make a great round for her with very little recoil.

JASmith
11-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Take a look at the lady hunter my sister has one in the 6.5 creedmore and she loves it. Has killed 4 bucks with it , 3 this year one at 350. The creedmore would make a great round for her with very little recoil.
No doubt that the Creedmoore covers a lot of medium game to include reliable hunting of Elk.

By going with the OP's choice of the .308, however, his wife has the option of going with very heavy bullets and giving the rifle good potential for moose-sized game. The only sacrifice would be long range trajectory with deer and varmint loads compared to the Creedmoor trajectories. When coupled with the fact that her husband (possibly she too) is already comfortable with reloading for the .308, the choice becomes enormously practicable.

Also, let's remember that this is a Savage forum! She and her husband can readily go to a different cartridge by simply swapping barrels and buying the needed reloading dies.

In the end, however, she should go with the rifle and cartridge that catches her fancy. The cost of an additional set of dies (and shellholder if going to a different parent case) is not particularly burdensome.

Rooster 50
11-30-2014, 01:16 PM
The 6.5 Creedmore is an excellent cartridge for med game. I wouldn't use it for Elk over 300yds. For a lady it's about as close to perfect as you will get and the fact that it's an inherently accurate round pu
ts it over the top for me.

BTW to be honest I don't like the 308 and i sure don't like the recoil you are going to get with a decent hunting load. Plus you give up a lot of BC with any reasonable bullet weight in the 308 over the 6.5.

TaxedinMaine
12-07-2014, 05:21 PM
My honest opinion. Getting my wife and 2 sons thru this.
Get a std weight rifle that fits her well
A youth/ladies model is recommended, even if it is a little too short. It is easier to add a pad than it is to cut it down.
Get it in a lesser recoiling cartridge like a 243 and let her gain confidence in her shooting. She can hunt with it also, as the 243 will kill any WT deer.
If she wants to move up, grab a 308 barrel and swap it out.
I have tried the cast bullets in 308 & 3006 with mixed results. Not sure if I would count on that option.
The absolute worst thing that could happen is to get too much gun and have her develop a flinch.

GaCop
12-08-2014, 07:46 AM
My honest opinion. Getting my wife and 2 sons thru this.
Get a std weight rifle that fits her well
A youth/ladies model is recommended, even if it is a little too short. It is easier to add a pad than it is to cut it down.
Get it in a lesser recoiling cartridge like a 243 and let her gain confidence in her shooting. She can hunt with it also, as the 243 will kill any WT deer.
If she wants to move up, grab a 308 barrel and swap it out.
I have tried the cast bullets in 308 & 3006 with mixed results. Not sure if I would count on that option.
The absolute worst thing that could happen is to get too much gun and have her develop a flinch. +1, good plan.

JASmith
12-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Given that the OP indicates he is a handloader, I respectfully disagree with the advice to go with a smaller caliber than .308 Won.

Barnes makes a couple of flavors of 110 grain lead-free bullets, including a neat-looking one for the 300 Blackout.

It is too easy to load these to 2750 fps and get the same recoil as one sees with factory 100 grain 243 ammunition.

The bullets should reliably harvest any North American deer given good shot placement.

At some point, she may want or need to go after heavier animals where the bigger bullets are needed. She can do that with the .308 but not with the .243.

mattri
12-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Well then you'd need to get/build her another gun, win-win!

Frank V
12-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Plowdady

I think you have pretty well thought it out. One thing, I'd make sure the stock fits HER measure it & don't be afraid to have it shortened. Have her throw the rifle up as you would a shotgun, you don't want the toe of the stock hanging up on clothing or under the armpit. A good Limbsaver recoil pad, should do it. There are several Savages out there that are nice rifles. The mod. 14 comes in .243, I don't know if it comes in .308? Great rifle! Something else you might consider, let her pick it out, if she likes it she'll be more inclined to shoot it.
It's great to have your Wife hunting with you Congratulations. You probably well know this, but be sure you are both using safety straps in your tree stands, don't want any falls!
Good luck let us know how you do.

I just looked on Savage's web the mod 14/114 American does come in .308 & they are classy rifles!:cool: