PDA

View Full Version : Help with first Savage build

Mordamer
11-27-2014, 10:37 PM
I am going to build a savage 10 into a long range gun. I will use it for targets, prairie dogs, coyote hunting, or deer hunting.

I am planning on ordering a pre-fit savage barrel with a varmint contour, fluted, and chambered in .260 AI. I have that part figured out.

Questions:

1. What is the cheapest source of a Left Hand Savage 10/11 action for this project?

2. Where do I get the Savage factory bottom metal that is a direct drop in for this stock (http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/43a334e1g203_pro-varmint-savage-12-top-bolt-release-dbm-short-action-left-hand-action-factory-barrel-channel-laminate-stock-w-black-textured-finish)?

3. What else am I forgetting?

I am open to all suggestions as this is my first build. I am capable enough to bed the action in the stock and to swap savage barrels.

Thanks!

Steelhead
11-28-2014, 12:09 AM
All I can help you with is #2 and #3, you can get bottom metal directly from Savage, they sent mine pretty quick.
If you need part #'s and a serial # let me know.

I'd also get a better recoil lug and maybe barrel nut and receiver wrench.
Jim at NSS is a top notch source for those.

I was shooting my 260 savage with parts I got from Jim today at over 1600 and doing decent with it.

darkker
11-28-2014, 02:17 AM
1) the man with the cheapest price is the cheapest source, seriously.
2) depends on which action spacing and configuration, but yes: Savage, Midway, Brownells, the various fine sponsors of this site, like Jim.
3) depends on what you do or don't have. May need to due a built head swap.

Mordamer
11-28-2014, 04:34 PM
I talked to Jim at NSS today. He got me straightened out on what to pursue to get this build finished. He was super helpful and sounded interested in my project even though he probably works with 20 people on the same thing everyday. Great guy!

At this point I am going to put all my efforts into finding a left hand action to start my build from. Jim said that I should look for one that has the top bolt release. I found several on gunbroker that would work perfect for my project, but the prices are not right. I plan on checking local gun stores and pawn shops for older model left hand savage rifles at a decent price. I think if I found a left hand model 10, 11, 12, or 16 rifle with top bolt release for $350 I would be a buyer. Any sources for one of these?

I'll probably order most everything I need from NSS as far as barrel and tools go.

Thanks for the help so far!