PDA

View Full Version : LE Wilson chamber type dies

Pages : 1 [2]

LongRange
12-04-2014, 10:42 PM
You didn't get the force measuring seating press!
OH my!

21'st Century does my some fine stuff, I use their neck turner and a few other items.

Lol i looked at it but thought the first time it took a digger outta my truck it might not work so well.

BW64
12-04-2014, 11:25 PM
SO......... Twice fired is tight??/ I only neck size also & I've had no problems with the die. Interesting!!! :)

BW

LongRange
12-05-2014, 12:02 AM
Yeah it even says on the instructions that the die may need to be honed a little. Are you shooting a savage or a remmy?

LongRange
12-05-2014, 06:39 PM
well as my charlie brown luck would have it LE wilson is closed today so ill give them a call on monday. i also think ill check my head space this weekend and make sure its still tight.

LongRange
12-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Checked head space this morning with the forster gauges and every thing still looks good there so i did some measuring on the 1 and 2x fired brass.
Base to shoulder are all 1.624.5 to 1.625 measured with the hornady head space gauge.
On the once fired brass the heads are from .470 to .471.5
and all of the twice fired cases are .472 with one case being .472.5

The cases at .470 fit in the die nicely...The cases at .471 fit but pretty tight..the cases at .471.5 and up are a no go.

BW64
12-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Yeah it even says on the instructions that the die may need to be honed a little. Are you shooting a savage or a remmy?

Rem. 700 SPS 26" tube.

BW

LongRange
12-07-2014, 07:50 PM
I eather have a slightly larger chamber or a slightly small die...ill call LEW in the morning and send them a few pieces of brass and the die and have them open it up a little. I did play with it a little with some of the brass that fit and it seats within .000 to .000.5 run out and my redding die seats from .000 to .002 so thats an improvement. I actually dont even check runout any more for 2 resasons..1 i never seen any difference from when i did check and now and 2 i was using a hornady concentricity gauge when i was checking and found when i adjusted the run out it was changing the seating depth and or the neck tension and it caused me a lot of frustration and wasted time. I know the hornady isnt the best tool for this and yes i tried all different setting on the tip. My accuracy/consistency and repeatability improved when i stopped worrying about run out...if i was a BR shooter and or getting paid to shoot i might be a little more concerned but for the types of shooting i do ive just never seen a big enough difference to justify it.

LongRange
12-13-2014, 11:27 PM
Well i played around with the die and the press this morning as i had to bump shoulders back a little after i put my new PTG bolt body and bolt head in last week. Both work very well but they DO NOT like compressed loads. I seated 10 rounds that were not compressed and all 10 seated exactly where i had the die set. When i started getting to the compressed loads the head on the press would slide up before the bullet seated but i figured this as i read the arbor press dont do well with compressed loads.

I still need to send the die in and have it opened up a bit,i did talk to LEW about it and they said ill have the die back in a week tops so ill send it out next week if i have time.

BW64
12-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Had our monthly 1000 yard shoot yesterday at BRPC. I lasted through 3 rounds of head to head then a guy cold bored me in the fourth. :( Oh well next month. LOL Had a good time. End of year party with burgers & dogs. They gave away a $2500 rifle at the end. Nice prize!!

BW

LongRange
12-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Yeah i need to step my game up next year...i shot an 11 at the last varmint match of the year but made up for it the following sunday when i shot a 567 in the 600yd open F...im going to do the 1000yd open F next year...im going to shoot my 300wm in one...they should enjoy the JP enterprise recoil eleminator with a high pressure load on the line lol.