PDA

View Full Version : Build finally underway

reynoldsfamily3
11-25-2014, 11:39 AM
I have been reading a lot and asking a lot of questions here so I figured I should write about my build.
I began with a Stevens 200 in 30-06. I have stripped it down and it is being totally rebuilt. I have a Choate Tactical stock with CDI bottom metal. I have a 26 inch heavy varmint barrel in chambered for 25-06 and another chambered 7mm Rem mag in the same contour on the way. Both barrels are made by Jim at Apache Gun Works. The action is currently at SSS for Fred to time and true. I have a Murphy Precision rail waiting to be bedded to the action once it comes back. I have a Rifle-Craft RS2 sling to try, I have never shot with a proper loop sling but I am anxious to try it.

I am debating on skim bedding the stock, I have read plenty that it can't hurt, but I want to be able to switch barrels without risking damaging something. This will be my first bedding job so I am a bit hesitant.

I am really hoping to find a good buy on a scope and rings during a Black Friday sale. I need to stay sub $500 and want a FFP or fixed power scope. So far I am looking at a SWFA SS in 10x or 12x, possibly a Primary Arms 4-14. I am open to suggestions.

I will post pictures as I start putting it together.

Bill

Bigdave1977
11-25-2014, 01:49 PM
The SWFA scopes are a steal for the prices. Have you considered getting a second bolt assembly for use with your 7 mag barrel? May be easier than changing bolt faces every time, only mentioning it because you didn't have it on your list.

Dave

reynoldsfamily3
11-25-2014, 02:12 PM
I am planning on building a second bolt. Not sure if it will be PTG parts of just factory bolt parts. I have not found many reviews of the PTG parts to decide if I want to go that route, I probably will. I really want to be able to blame all misses on my skill not parts/

drybean
11-25-2014, 02:42 PM
I would just get another bolt head,other wise your T&T will be a waste

rjtfroggy
11-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Wait until Friday SWFA supposedly has a "black Friday" sale. Check their site to see.

reynoldsfamily3
11-25-2014, 06:23 PM
I am impatiently waiting for it.

Saw this today and I think it will be on this rifle. SWFA SS 12X http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-12x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53714.aspx

reynoldsfamily3
01-16-2015, 12:27 PM
I got a SWFA SS 12x scope during their Black Friday sale. Yesterday my 7mm Rem Mag barrel came in. I've lapped the scope rings, and installed the barrel. I am going to be adding some weight to the stock as the rifle is very muzzle heavy with the long heavy contour barrel. I have a Painkiller muzzle brake to add, I know a lot of people don't use a brake on a 7 mag, but I need to be my own spotter, so I think it will be helpful. Almost done and ready to shoot. Then load development will begin.

Anyone add weight to a Choate Tactical? I was figuring some lead and epoxy in the bottom of the hollow stock, any better ideas?