PDA

View Full Version : Getting my first striker in 243

tjson
11-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Hello Everyone,
Getting a stock striker in 243, rear grip plastic stock. Burris pistol scope and mounts on it right now. Would like to make it into a long range shooter. Where do I start? Do I need a brake on a 243? Would like to keep the 243 and one or two other calibers just to make it fun. I will hunt and shoot paper.

1: Which barrel maker, price, contour, and length?
2: New trigger group, or tune the existing one?
3: Stock options, I like 7 fingers by looks, needs to function or looks.
4: Bolt face or buy a new bolt if needed.
5: Scopes, pistol or rifle?

Appleseed
11-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Read Specialty Pistol boards.

I had/have three. Two are factory left bolt/right port strikers. The other was a special order action left bolt/left port from the factory custom shop, (talk to Effie Sullivan, she is the best)! I sold the action because it was a problem finding a rear grip stock at a reasonable price.

For long range and hunting, try 6br or punch out the .243 barrel to AI. The .243 was too much blast for me. Folks that use brakes must not mind getting hit in the face with the blast. I replaced the bolt head, you will have to make a few mods and size the firing pin dia.

After shooting the factory .243, switched to .221fb over a .223. Almost the same to 55grain, but low recoil, low blast/noise. Several members here shoot 300blkout on that frame...look at 300blacktalk site for barrels or try gunshack for er shaw or mcgowen barrels.

If I chose a new barrel, it would be 6 X 45, no problems with brass or cycling rounds.

yorketransport
12-01-2014, 12:09 AM
Congrats on the new Striker! I'd keep it stock for a while until you get a feel for it. After shooting you'll get a pretty good idea of what you like or don't like about the whole setup.

For barrels, I like McGowen and Benchmark for customs. McGowens are around $300 and Benchmarks will cost closer to $450-500. To me, an 18 or 19" varmint contour is perfect for an all round target gun. You don't need a muzzle brake on a 243. I'm going to test a muzzle brake made by Killer Innovations on the Striker to see how it works. It's designed to be more of a compensator, which is really what the pistols need most.

Stick with the factory trigger until you decide whether or not you want to switch stocks. I like the factory center grips which means you need to stick with the factory trigger. The rear grip stocks are nice and I do have one of the Neal Cooper rear grip stocks on my 6mm BR. The guns are very muzzle heavy in a rear grip stock though.

It's rifle scopes only for me. Until somebody puts some decent glass in a handgun scope, I'll stick with the rifle versions. The Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50 is possibly the perfect scope for the Striker. I typically have my scopes set right around 12x or 14x regardless of the top end. 12x is plenty to shoot .5 MOA targets at any range. I run my 284 striker with a VX-3 6.5-20x50 out past 1300 yards on 12x on a pretty regular basis.

If you end up replacing the factory barrel, I'd look at a 19" McGowen in a fast twist 243. That combo should keep you busy for a while!

Andrew

tjson
12-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Andrew,
Thanks for the info. I have tried to call Mcgowens Pac-nor and Bertlein, out until after the week end. What do you think of the 7fingers stock? Again thanks for the info.

TJ

snowgetter1
12-01-2014, 11:25 PM
I like 16"-17" barrels. That way they could be used on a rifle if needed when you sell them.

yorketransport
12-02-2014, 12:45 AM
Andrew,
Thanks for the info. I have tried to call Mcgowens Pac-nor and Bertlein, out until after the week end. What do you think of the 7fingers stock? Again thanks for the info.

TJ

I haven't had a chance to handle one of the 7finger stocks, but they look good. I'm considering either a McRee or XLR for a project that I'm working on right now. I need a rear grip stock capable of using a detachable mag of some kind.

Check out Gun Shack for barrels. Every once in while they will have the McGowen 19" barrels in stock. I believe that's where my 260 barrel came from. The 284 and 358 came from the sale page at McGowen. I paid less than $225 for each of the barrels.

tjson
12-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Ok, got my striker finally. Want to convert it to rear grip, what trigger is best for this setup?

yorketransport
12-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Ok, got my striker finally. Want to convert it to rear grip, what trigger is best for this setup?
The Rifle Basix triggers are a good, reasonably priced option. I usually just throw an old factory trigger on there and call it good. With a little work factory triggers are pretty good.

tjson
12-08-2014, 03:13 AM
Factory trigger from what rifle?

snowgetter1
12-09-2014, 03:52 AM
Any model 10-16 or 110-116 trigger will work.

tjson
12-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Ok, any one have any of the above listed trigger group for sale?