PDA

View Full Version : Questions about build

L1986
11-23-2014, 11:14 PM
Ok, I need help deciding which action I should find for new build. New to savage so help is greatly appreciated. I am going to build a 22/250AI to start with but might change to different caliber after barrel is burnt. With that in mind and not knowing what the future will hold for the action is a long action possible for the 250AI? That way im not limited to short action caliber later on. Also i prefer the look of the flat back actions. Will this hender a build in any way, ie upgrade options?
Thanks for the help.

bootsmcguire
11-24-2014, 01:01 AM
You can build with a flat rear long action, but I am willing to bet that you will have a better time feeding with a newer long action that has a centerfeed magazine box.

The only hindrance of the flat rear actions are that they were only made with staggerfeed type magazines and that sometimes the flat area is not perfectly true with the round front area and sometimes makes scope mounting an issue unless you are planning to bed a 1pc scope mount or are planning to use Burris Sig Zee rings with the adjustable inserts.

L1986
11-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the info boots. Its awesome to have a place to ask these questions and get knowledable answers. What about shank size, or does it really matter? Again wanting to make sure my options are open in the future with this action.

bootsmcguire
11-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Glad to help.

That action should be a Small Shank. That is the most common and will let you run most things that Savage actions are capable of (and a few things that they are not, ;) ).

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get on yesterday.

GaCop
11-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Using a long action also gives you more leeway as to overall cartridge length being able to seat bullets to and into the lands. I'd opt for a single shot follower eliminating any feed problems from a long action magazine.

LoneWolf
11-28-2014, 01:39 AM
Have a 116 flat back action in a choate tactical stock inletted by CDI Precision. They have a bottom metal specifically for the staggered feed action using the 300WM type AICS mags. I'm running it in 6.5-06 right now with a COAL of 3.4 w/ Berger 140gr VLDs and zero feed issues.

L1986
12-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Have a 116 flat back action in a choate tactical stock inletted by CDI Precision. They have a bottom metal specifically for the staggered feed action using the 300WM type AICS mags. I'm running it in 6.5-06 right now with a COAL of 3.4 w/ Berger 140gr VLDs and zero feed issues.

This is the route I am leaning towards...how well do you think the 22-250 would feed through a 300wm mag?

L1986
12-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Ok I have aquired a long action center feed with the bottom bolt release. It is just the action and trigger with no mag or bottom metal. I would like to use the choate tactical stock here and would prefer the blind mag setup to the DBM or other mag. Being new and confused, is this possible and if so what parts do i need to get ahold of?

L1986
12-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Ttt

Fireball
12-14-2014, 12:36 PM
I don't have it in front of me, but a 22-250 AI is shorter than the max short action length already, and with the small bullets, wouldn't you be more than fine with a short action? I personally wouldn't want a long action for that short a cartridge. Heck, buy a second action later if you want something long. Just my way of thinking to match the shortest action possible to the cartridge I intend to shoot, provided it's long enough for the bullets intended, etc etc etc.

foxx
12-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Assuming it is the correct bolt head (easy to switch-out if not), you will only need the metal "box" of the centerfeed mag and it's spring and follower. (You don't need or want the plastic bottom that attaches to the outside of a detachable mag.) The mag box just sits in the magazine well of the stock. There is also an "L clip" available that secures the mag box to the stock, but it isn't absolutely necessary. You can often get by with just using some plumbers putty, clay or actually bed it into the stock. Check out FAQ section for articles about the different mag styes, and installations.

L1986
12-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Assuming it is the correct bolt head (easy to switch-out if not), you will only need the metal "box" of the centerfeed mag and it's spring and follower. (You don't need or want the plastic bottom that attaches to the outside of a detachable mag.) The mag box just sits in the magazine well of the stock. There is also an "L clip" available that secures the mag box to the stock, but it isn't absolutely necessary. You can often get by with just using some plumbers putty, clay or actually bed it into the stock. Check out FAQ section for articles about the different mag styes, and installations.

Thanks foxx, how will the blind mag work with the bottom bolt release? Is there a trigger gaurd out there that works for the bottom bolt release that does not have bottom metal with it? Sorry for all the newbie questions.

foxx
12-14-2014, 09:47 PM
All you need for trigger guard is the bottom bolt release type, plastic or metal. I prefer metal. The bottom metal for the mag is not really an issue. They are separate parts that do not really have much to do with each other except the "surround" does have a tab that goes under the front part of the trigger guard and sort of acts as a washer because they use the same rear action screw. Just bed the trigger guard with JB weld or some other epoxy and it should be alright. If the stock is inletted for top bolt relief, it can easily be relieved for the bottom bolt release style with a dremel. I've done it.

L1986
12-14-2014, 10:53 PM
Awesome! That is what i needted to hear. Thanks again!!