PDA

View Full Version : bedding a laminate vs accustock

Pages : [1] 2

john800
11-22-2014, 03:21 PM
I am looking to upgrade from the plastic stock on my mod 11 vt I am depating between a boyds laminate that I would have to bed or an accustock.
Is the bedding system on an accustock pretty good? or just marketing hype? I am looking for consistant accuracy and stiffness and I have never used an accustock or seen the inside of one in person.
Has anyone went from an accustock to something else and gained accuracy?

john800
11-23-2014, 07:13 PM
someone has to have an opinion on this, opinions are like @ holes... :p

cowtownup
11-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Well let me be the a**hole to comment that I don't know a darn thing bout bedding... LOL... I'm scared I'll stick my action in the stock...

olddav
11-23-2014, 07:35 PM
I done a couple of bedding jobs but I have never owned a Accustock rifle so I can't offer a comparison. I can say that a pillar bedded stock offers repeatability as one removes and reinstalls the action.
I've been watching this thread and hoping for some info myself.

foxx
11-23-2014, 07:48 PM
My first two Savages were accustocks, .260 and .223, and they were both 1/2 MOA at 100yds or better. I later decided I wanted them on a Tacticool instead. They are now closer to .3 MOA at 100 yds after adding pillars and bedding. I have no way of knowing if the Tacticool made them better or if I am just a better shooter and hand loader than when I started.

Correction: my 260 was originally a Trophy Hunter. My second accustock was a 25-06. It shot better than 1/2 moa but I wanted a factory walnut stock of the American Classic style, so I bought one from Numrich and immediately pillared and bedded it so it now shoots 1/3 MOA or better as well. Again, I have no idea if the Accustock hindered me at all. I truly doubt it. Would I buy another? No, because I don't like synthetic stocks. I'd rather pillar and bed my own wood stocks. Are they good? I believe so.

spdu4ia
11-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Had an accustock .5moa . Dropped it in a chassis system and dropped it down to .25 moa on a good day but I really liked the accustock.

GaCop
11-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Personally, I'd go with the laminate then pillar and glass bed it. Boyd stock don't have pillars and they don't offer to install any either.

soreal03
12-06-2014, 12:05 AM
When placing an accustock action into a chassis system, is there a trick to tightening the action screws or do you just tighten them like any other rifle action?

foxx
12-06-2014, 12:24 AM
When placing an accustock action into a chassis system, is there a trick to tightening the action screws or do you just tighten them like any other rifle action?

No, there's no such thing as an Accustock Action.

Other than target actions, they are all the same. They are either short or long, stagger feed or center feed. Currently, they are all center feed.

sharpshooter
12-06-2014, 01:02 AM

Righty tighty...lefty loosey.

foxx
12-06-2014, 01:07 AM
Righty tighty...lefty loosey.

There's a screw loose right there.

soreal03
12-08-2014, 11:32 PM
Guess I should've clarified :( I was under the impression, when tightening an action to a regular accustock, there was a systematic way of doing so. "Not just righty tighty." Was only wondering if it was the same process when putting on a chassis like the 110 BA stock?

foxx
12-08-2014, 11:38 PM
I know there was once a recommended procedure for installing the action to the original Accustocks. I don't believe the current Accustocks have a special procedure. I do not know about the 110 BA stock.

jkingen
12-09-2014, 01:33 PM
there is a specific torque sequence for tightening the action into the accu-stock. I have it written down at home and could type it on here if anyone is interested

foxx
12-09-2014, 03:02 PM
there is a specific torque sequence for tightening the action into the accu-stock. I have it written down at home and could type it on here if anyone is interested

I'd like to see that. The instructions in the FAQ section here refers to the original Accustocks, not the current models.

mikgarus
12-09-2014, 07:00 PM
This is how i do it.
Finger tighten both screws.
Then have the rifle point up with the butt on the ground. While pushing down on the barrel, tighten front screw to about 20in pounds, then the back one.
Then tighten the front to about 40 in/lbs then again the back one to the same.

Bigeclipse
12-10-2014, 02:44 PM
someone has to have an opinion on this, opinions are like @ holes... :p

John ill give you my two cents on what id do. I have never bedded a rifle but I do intend on trying this someday. Anyways, I would look into the B&C medalist classic style stock. Check out stockys stocks website. It has an aluminum bedding block in it which is VERY similar to the accustock. It costs about 250$. Most likely it will shoot great as is (the rifle will drop right in it but I would check to make sure the barrel is free floated. You may also want to check to see if the tang remains free floated.) but you can also bed it with some bedding if you feel the need. I recently took my brother's savage 110 7mm rem mag rebarreled with criterion barrel and B&C medalist stock and it is shooting .5MOA consistently. I just floated the tang myself which was easy and will report back if accuracy improves or not. Will it shoot better with an additional epoxy bedding job...probably. Do I need it to, no. If I start shooting past 600 yards I may have it bedded.

Stockrex
12-10-2014, 02:55 PM
This is how i do it.
Finger tighten both screws.
Then have the rifle point up with the butt on the ground. While pushing down on the barrel, tighten front screw to about 20in pounds, then the back one.
Then tighten the front to about 40 in/lbs then again the back one to the same.

I am trying to imagine pushing down on the barrel and applying torque to the screws, won't it will pull the action to where it wants, and pushing down will probably yield NO value ??

foxx
12-10-2014, 04:52 PM
There should be some space/play on the inside of the pillars. Pushing the barreled action back towards the butt end makes sure the recoil lug is snug against it's stop. Then tighten the action screws. Otherwise, there is a small chance it's just kind of floating there with nothing but the action screws' "pull" holding it in place. Anyhow, that's why I do what Mik says. It might not help, might not be necessary, but it's just as easy to do that way as not.

mattri
12-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Most folks will start the action screws and then hold the rifle vertically, muzzle up and let it drop to the the floor etc. a little to "seat" the lug before tightening up the screws. Theoretically if you have a well bedded action/lug this is unnecessary but that has never stopped us from doing a million other things that are equally unnecessary and this is no different.

I would recommend that you pillar bed a Boyds or other stock over using an AccuStock for a couple of reasons:

The AccuStock is ok, it isn't awesome but it isn't terrible either. Boyds (and others) on the other hand offer a number of stocks and a number of features that may be better suited for what you're after.

Pillar bedding a stock is not that difficult. There is a ton of good information on this site and others on how to do it well and with very little time/effort/expense you can have a stock that is ideally suited and mated to your needs/action/platform.

A factory offering will always be that- something that came off an assembly line. There is a lot to be said for that simplicity but for even a semi-custom build the investment in an aftermarket stock and the steps to pillar bed it are minimal considering the return.