PDA

View Full Version : bedding a laminate vs accustock

Pages : 1 [2]

jkingen
12-10-2014, 07:04 PM
This is something I found at some point written by Chris Bezzina of Savage Arms:

"Proper Adjustment of The Accustock
there is a specific technique for assembling the action into the AccuStock, and it needs to be strictly adhered to as follows:

1. Ensure that the recoil lug "wedge" screw is backed out to the point where the wedge has sufficient vertical movement to allow the recoil lug to seat against the bottom of the aluminum rail.
2. With the action inserted into the stock, justify the action toward the rear of the stock to allow the recoil lug on the action to be seated against the boss on the aluminum rail.
3. Tighten the forward most screw to 10 in.-lbs. to seat the action against the aluminum rail boss, then back out one-half turn.
4. Tighten the middle action screw to 10 in.-lbs.
5. Tighten the rear action screw to 10 in.-lbs.
6. Tighten the forward action screw to 10 in.-lbs.
Repeat steps four through six and increase torque value in increments up to a final torque value of 40 to 45 in.-lbs.
note: It is extremely important to tighten per the insructions above because when you are tightening the action down into the AccuStock you are spreading aluminum side rails and evenly moving the action down onto the base of the rail, ensuring positive engagement."

foxx
12-10-2014, 09:05 PM
This is something I found at some point written by Chris Bezzina of Savage Arms:

"Proper Adjustment of The Accustock
there is a specific technique for assembling the action into the AccuStock, and it needs to be strictly adhered to as follows:

1. Ensure that the recoil lug "wedge" screw is backed out to the point where the wedge has sufficient vertical movement to allow the recoil lug to seat against the bottom of the aluminum rail.
2. With the action inserted into the stock, justify the action toward the rear of the stock to allow the recoil lug on the action to be seated against the boss on the aluminum rail.
3. Tighten the forward most screw to 10 in.-lbs. to seat the action against the aluminum rail boss, then back out one-half turn.
4. Tighten the middle action screw to 10 in.-lbs.
5. Tighten the rear action screw to 10 in.-lbs.
6. Tighten the forward action screw to 10 in.-lbs.
Repeat steps four through six and increase torque value in increments up to a final torque value of 40 to 45 in.-lbs.
note: It is extremely important to tighten per the insructions above because when you are tightening the action down into the AccuStock you are spreading aluminum side rails and evenly moving the action down onto the base of the rail, ensuring positive engagement."

Yeah, I don't know how this applies with current production Accustocks that do not have the "Wedge" or "Wedge-screw." Maybe someone who knows more about these can chime in?

Ranger412
12-12-2014, 08:23 AM
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

Old Medic
12-28-2014, 09:31 AM
I'd like to see that. The instructions in the FAQ section here refers to the original Accustocks, not the current models.

I have a Predator Hunter 6.5x284, which sits in an Accustock, and I can tell you if you take the action out of the stock and then put it back it probably will not shoot to the same POI. I had it shooting 5 rounds (130 gr Bergers w/ Re 22) through roughly the same hole at 100. As an experiment, I took it out of the stock and put it back with what I knew to be a different (actually more) torque on the front screw. The rifle would do no better than 2" at 100. Since I always stipple matching marks on my stocks beside the action screws before removing any action from its stock, I simply turned the front action screw to the designated mark, and, voila, she went back to shootin' teeny-weeny groups. I have a Remy 700 Tactical 308 in a B&C M40 stock that's not nearly as finnicky as the Accustock. But as long as I know what to do, so what? Generally, you can tighten the rear screw to the spec torque, take a few rounds to the range, shoot while tweeking (notice I said tweeking - not twerking) the front screw until the groups start to tighten up. Not real scientific, but, hey, it works.

Bigeclipse
12-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Here is my take...accustock or any stock with aluminum bedding block will be much better than a regular synthetic stock...so much so that further bedding may not be needed. I have two bell and carlson stocks which are basically the same as a accustock, one shoots one ragged hole at 100 yards the other holds right around 1MOA. The one that holds 1MOA is a Remington 700 which the barrel could be the culprit not the stock. 1MOA is plenty accurate out to 400 yards but I want this rifle to shoot under 1 moa out to 600 yards so I'm going to try skim bedding it which sometimes helps with an aluminum bedding block. If this doesn't work then it is most likely the barrel. These are with handloads.

Any stock that is fully bedded with pillars will be better than these stocks with aluminum bedding blocks so if you want ultimate perfection you will want to go the laminate route but it definitely requires a good amount of work. Unless you are striving past 500 yards you will be fine with a the accustock. You never know the Accustock could get you even further but no guarentees.