PDA

View Full Version : Probably a stupid question but...

ex-af
04-21-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm new to center fire rifles. I recently acquired a model 12 BVSS chambered in .308 (which BTW took quite the search to even find one). It's referred to as a short action. Just what exactly is the difference between a short action and a long action?

My other Savage is 93R17 that has been highly modified for 100yd benchrest. Shoots 1/4" groups with ME shootin' it!

Uncle Jack
04-21-2010, 10:49 PM
".....Just what exactly is the difference between a short action and a long action?"

Oh, about 3/4".

Seriously, short actions accommodate shorter .308 size cartridges and long actions work with longer 30-06 and magnum size cartridges.

Short actions are just that, shorter, and they weigh less.

uj

Slowpoke Slim
04-21-2010, 10:54 PM
It's as simple as it sounds, the "short" action, is shorter in length than the long action. Since your BVSS is a 308 variant, it was built on a short action. If the same BVSS had been built in 30-06, it would have been built on a long action, to allow cartridge clearance of the longer cartridge.

The difference will mainly be in relation to what stocks will fit your action. If you measure the distance between your action screws, it will either be 4.40", or 4.25". Most likely it will be the 4.25" spacing, also referred to as a "stagger feed" gun, which names the type of magazine it came with. The earlier short actions were 4.25" "stagger feed" guns, and the current production short actions are 4.40" spacing and "center feed" guns.

You'll need to know which one you have if you want to swap stocks. Either one will take the same barrels though, but of course you couldn't get a 30-06 cartridge to feed through the short action, it won't clear. It will screw into the receiver though.

BrentWin
04-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Welcome to the Forum and to the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut.

ex-af
04-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Cool. Thanks y'all. I was pretty sure is was something simple like that, but, sometimes it's even stupider to not even ask...

BTW, I just LOVE this .308! I'm so glad I waited until my broker could find one and not just settle for a .22-250 since that's all that there seems to be around. And it made no sense to me to 'settle' because all it will ever be used for is 600 and 1000 yd F/TR shooting since I don't hunt. (I can't even shoot at a silhouette target!)

BrentWin
04-23-2010, 08:07 AM
And the best part is that all you will have to do is swap barrels to shoot open.

Dirk
04-23-2010, 05:12 PM
He can still shoot F-open with a .308 Win. (or any caliber he desires).

rjtfroggy
04-23-2010, 07:47 PM
EX-AF welcome to the forum. Remember there are no "stupid questions".

ellobo
04-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Just stupid answers, just ask me.

El Lobo

ex-af
04-23-2010, 08:28 PM
He can still shoot F-open with a .308 Win. (or any caliber he desires).

True, but I just like the aspect of shooting off just a bipod. I don't even use a rear bag. Just set the butt up into my shoulder and shoot 'a-nautrale' so to speak. I've watched the guys out at camp Butner shoot Open class, and don't get me wrong, these cats are way good, and can damn near hit the same spot at 1000 yards every shot and accuracy is the name of the game, but, just not what I want to do. Besides, I've seen my younger brother do the same thing off a bipod...'course, he's a former Army sniper and has been shooting for years. Jr ROTC champion, ROTC Champion, Army Rifle Team...the boy can shoot the eyes off a fly at a 1000 yards and leave the wings sitting there...

I'm just getting back into shooting. I got my .17HMR last year and that's the first thing I've fired in over 30 years. Last thing I had my hands on was an M-16.

Uncle Jack
04-23-2010, 08:30 PM
The only stupid questions are the ones not asked.

uj