PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 30-06 terrible grouping remedy

ASUAviator
11-21-2014, 10:07 PM
Hey all,

I was pretty excited when I picked up my left handed 111 for my upcoming deer hunt. Ive taken it to the range a couple times to sight it in and couldn't get anything more consistent at a 100yds than a 1ft spread. I assumed it was me since this is my first high powered rifle. Unsatisfied, I took the scope off the rail to make sure everything was good. Then I looked at the rings. The front was even and snug but the rear was not. One side was tightened all the way and the other had a gap. I loosened the tight side and proceeded to tighten the side with the gap. The allen screw never tightened until it hit the bottom ring mount. I then realized that it must have been stripped on assembly. I took it to the shop I bought it from today and he switched it out with a nice weaver mount. I then took it to the range and was shooting a 3 inch group at 200yds!! I was happily relieved! Figured Id tell about it so that it becomes clear that these combo rifles are not always securely fitted with a scope.

I hope to update this thread with a buck next weekend!

:becky:

olddav
11-21-2014, 10:38 PM
It's just no fun when it's that easy!

limige
11-21-2014, 11:42 PM
Lol. Sounds like you got it sorted out quickly!

D.ID
11-21-2014, 11:48 PM
I bought a scoped rifle once..........that was enough to learn my lesson.
Thinking I would be smart and have a "professional" fix it..........two rounds later my scope rolled over in the rings. Fixed it myself.
Next new rifle needs a new scope.......thinking I was still smart and just needed a "better professional" I dropped it off, waited patiently for a couple days, went back and payed my bill/picked it up........ went to the range, pulled it out and noticed right off the bat the rear ring was cockeyed only catching the edge of the base, fixed it myself.
"professional" is a loose term and like all things in life, Nobody cares about your stuff as much as you do.
Now days.....into long range precision and you couldn't pay me to trust someone else's........... anyone else's install.
So simple.......yet so many folks have trouble with it, most of the combo deals from cabellas, dicks or similar sporting good stores are thrown together by whoever has time to kill in the back room, not necessarily a "professional".

D.ID
11-21-2014, 11:51 PM

ASUAviator
11-22-2014, 12:37 AM
Yeah it took a few boxes to figure out unfortunately. But I guess the barrel needed to be broken in any way. It sure was frustrating seeing people get inch or 2 groups and there I was trying to keep it within the size of a basketball

gotcha
11-22-2014, 05:53 PM
A tip from one who has made this mistake. Don't clean the barrel until AFTER the hunt as your groups might open up with a squeaky clean barrel.