PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Tool questions

Peter_Kirch
04-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Ok
First are all dies interchangeable between presses?
Example: I have a lee challenger press, do I have to use lee dies or can I use RCBS or Redding dies?

Second I bought the lee pacesetter die set in 30-06 to start with. I now want to reload 308 as well, so can I get the Lee deluxe set and use the 30-06 factory crimp die to crimp the 308 necks?

and finally I am in the market for a new scale. I settled on the RCBS model 502 scale(it seems like it has the best feedback for $70 and under.) any opinions?

EFBell
04-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Dies will interchange. Doubt you can crimp 308 with the 06 die. The base of the die gets compressed by the shell holder to make the crimp. They are cheap enough to get the right one. You really dont need to crimp unless your shooting an autoloader. I dont crimp my 180 grain 300 mag loads and never had an issue. Unless the bullet has a cannelure it's only going to deform the bullet.

I do crimp my AR mil-spec knock offs and plinking loads

The scale should be fine. Be sure to get a trickler too. Hornady makes a nice scale too for around that price. used to sell a package with a trickler and a funnel along with it if memory serves me correct.

Peter_Kirch
04-21-2010, 03:59 PM
ok thanks!

I'll be sure to take a look at it.

82boy
04-22-2010, 12:13 PM
For the most part dies are interchangeable, there was a couple of presses in the past that used odd sized dies, but they did not go over do to they needed spacial dies. Watch out for names like JR line, if you buy used dies.

I never crimp any of my rifle cartridges, they is just no point to it, basically all it does is work the brass more, and wear it out quicker.

RCBS scale are great, they are made by Ohaus. RCBS I would say is THE top company when it comes to customer support. RCBS is my first choice when buying dies, unless I need a micrometer seater, then it is Forester. You can find used RCBS/Ohaus scale on e-bay, and forum classified section, and save some money. I would pick the 10-10 scale if given the choice, and they can be had new for around $80 bucks. My second choice in scale is Lyman, they make some very nice stuff. Their budget line is just as accurate as the best scales on the market.

mopar440
04-23-2010, 11:41 AM
i use lee's for pistol and redding for rifle i started with lee's then moved to the redding because of the neck bushing to set neck tension

Tightgroups
04-23-2010, 04:12 PM
You got good info and recommendations above on the dies.
However in the price range your talking about for a scale, you might want to consider an electronic scale, you can get one for less money, and they work as good or better, there faster and less touchy when you trickle in to them.
I started with an RCBS beam scale, (and still have it) then went to a cheap Frankfort arsenal elect for about $20., that I used for years, its a good unit, and I still have it also. But about 6 mo ago I stepped up to a Pact unit $130. It cost more, but is no more accurate. In fact there all dead on to 1/10 of a grain, like the beam scale is, so its what type you like to use.
When you get a load that you plan to keep using, make a small test weight in that "charge weight", then you can quickly check your scale any time, and at the weight your using, there vary handy. I have several different ones.
Mike.

EFBell
04-23-2010, 06:18 PM
if you really want to spend a few more dollars get your self a chargemaster.

Peter_Kirch
04-23-2010, 06:30 PM
You got good info and recommendations above on the dies.
However in the price range your talking about for a scale, you might want to consider an electronic scale, you can get one for less money, and they work as good or better, there faster and less touchy when you trickle in to them.
I started with an RCBS beam scale, (and still have it) then went to a cheap Frankfort arsenal elect for about $20., that I used for years, its a good unit, and I still have it also. But about 6 mo ago I stepped up to a Pact unit $130. It cost more, but is no more accurate. In fact there all dead on to 1/10 of a grain, like the beam scale is, so its what type you like to use.
When you get a load that you plan to keep using, make a small test weight in that "charge weight", then you can quickly check your scale any time, and at the weight your using, there vary handy. I have several different ones.
Mike.

I was originally interested in a cheap electronic on but in reading some reviews I understood that some could only go to a precision of 2/10. But from the sound of it you would recommend the frankfort arsenal one?

if you really want to spend a few more dollars get your self a chargemaster.

I would love to but right now I just got done building my rifle which turned out to be quite expensive. In the future I will step up to some nice stuff but for right now I just need something to get me through the summer.

I really just want something cheap and precise that will last a year.

rjtfroggy
04-23-2010, 07:57 PM
PK shop around you can find cheap accurate digital scales all over the web, even try Ebay. I've seen them for $19.95 at a few places.

bootsmcguire
04-24-2010, 01:57 AM
Most modern presses have the 7/8 - 14 threads and will interchange most dies (except for the oddballs as someone stated above). The 30-06 factory crimp die will NOT crimp the 308. I have both dies and the length is different. I would just pony up the cash and get the Deluxe die set and buy the Factory Crimp die seperate. Thats what I have done with all of my sets. Also remember that the Pacesetter Seating die has the crimp built into the seating die and the Deluxe set's seating die does not. I think the deluxe seating dies is much simpler to set up and when used with the Factory crimp die you get a more uniform crimp because case length doesn't matter as much to the Factory Crimp die, in case you get some variances in your brass lengths.
As stated above it is unnecessary to crimp you rifle bullets (unless using in a pump, lever gun, or auto loader) but I found my 12FV 308 Win. seemed to shoot better with a slight crimp from the Factory Crimp die. Don't know why but who am I to argue with results ;D . Most of my other calibers do not get a crimp, but i have the dies anyway, cuz u just never know.

Peter_Kirch
04-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Ok that sounds like the way i am going to go.