PDA

View Full Version : Checking in from NY

Poman777
11-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Evening guys, my name is Mike I'm from upstate NY. Got into the shooting scene about 2 years ago with semi-autos but now the quest for accuracy has me seeking a bolt gun. Love the model 12 LRP. Might fine rifle if I do say so myself. Looking at picking up a rig within the next few weeks so I can add some parts and nice glass before the new year. Im kinda of stuck on caliber, Im loving to distances the 260 is putting out but the 308 barrel will last for double the rounds. Decisions decisions…. Has anyone shot both? Opinions / concerns?

drybean
11-19-2014, 10:25 PM
Welcome to the site

Westcliffe01
11-19-2014, 10:29 PM
Depends on goals. Neither of your options is really ideal. Any "real" long range rifle, with optimized ballistics, will have a relatively short barrel life. To get long barrel life you have to make fairly drastic compromises on the ballistics. I have a 308 and a 223. For me they are both training rifles. Components are more readily available, and cheaper than 6.5mm 7mm or 338 calibers. If you can shoot your 308 well, then you should not need a ton of time on a more capable rifle. Actual hunts will burn through very little ammo, so a hunting rifle will last a long time. But blasting at prairie dogs or competition is a different story...

In addition, if you go with a factory rifle, you have to be sure you get a decent barrel and also barrel twist rate. In my experience, factory barrels are hit and miss and in some chamberings, never offer a suitable twist for high BC bullets and might not be throated right either. So be aware that your factory rig may not work out too well for you. So far I do not have any factory barrels left on any of my rigs. My suggestion is to buy a used rifle at a discount and plan on screwing a custom barrel onto it from the start. Just get everything else you want (action, stock, magazine)...

Rick_W
11-20-2014, 10:38 PM
Welcome

GaCop
11-21-2014, 08:39 AM
Welcome to the "Wonderful World of Savages".

B52buff
11-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Welcome from NE Michigan.