PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Input On New Rifle Project

JW74
11-18-2014, 10:56 PM
Hello all, New member her. I currently own a Savage Model 12 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor and love the rifle! So now I am planning on putting a riffle together as a winter project. Basically I want to get a lower cost starter rifle in .308 and add a custom stock, detachable magazine, muzzle break ect.

I have it narrowed down to two candidates.

The first is a Remington 700 ADL Varmint (internal magazine/no external base plate). It has a plastic molded stock with 26" heavy barrel and is going for about $445 right now at Cabella's. I would have to add the detachable mag assembly from Wyatt's for about another $250. Then was thinking of adding a B&C Tatical Medalist stock.

The second choice is a Savage Model 11VT (exclusive to Dick's). It is a 24" heavy barrel, accutrigger and is going for $419 with an additional $75 dollar rebate. Great price ($345). I would have to spend another $150 to add new bottom metal so that it will fit the Choate Tactical stock with a compatible detachable mag.

Not including the cost of aftermarket stock the Savage is coming in at about $200 cheaper than the Rem 700. What I am wondering; is the Rem 700 worth the extra $200 dollars right off the bat?

Whatever rifle I choose I will paint the stock myself and have a gunsmith cut the barrel down to 22-23" and add a muzzle break.

Thanks for any input!

D.ID
11-19-2014, 12:52 AM
Worth an extra two bills upfront and at least that much more to remedy if it doesn't give you what you want in original configuration. I would say probably not.
Roughly translated to totally honest terms: Fat chance in hell.

JCalhoun
11-19-2014, 10:32 AM
The Savage will every bit as good (or better) as the Remington so take the savings and invest it in your scope.

D.ID
11-19-2014, 12:23 PM
The Savage will every bit as good (or better) as the Remington so take the savings and invest it in your scope.
+1...............Well said.

JW74
11-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the help guys. My gut was leaning towards the Savage as I have been really happy with my 12 LRP so far as well.

Thanks,
Joe