PDA

View Full Version : Carrying in winter

Stockrex
11-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Well it is that time of the year, yes, ice fishing and pier fishing in Fishigan.
My mother and I are avid fans of the deadly, high risk sport of fishing. We go after nocturnal species and sometimes fish all night till 3 am. it is around 10F and - xxF with wind chill.
So needless to say, I have a few layers on me.

I have a hip holster for my XDM 40 cal but I realized last season, it will take me good 2 mins to upzip and reach into my bib to retrieve my handgun.

So my question is How the heck are you guys conceal carrying in winter?

J.Baker
11-18-2014, 07:09 PM
My nice new insulated Carhartt jacket has two interior pockets that are the perfect size for my little Kahr CW40 or my Ruger LCR. The other option would be a chest rig like Diamond D's Guides Choice (http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php) so you could get to it with just unzipping your jacket or coverall a little. You could actually wear the latter on the outside of your jacket as well.

BillPa
11-18-2014, 09:02 PM
I use a Uncle Mikes vertical shoulder holster for my 4" 67 Smith. I'll unzip my jacket maybe 1/3" of the way down, reach in and its out in a few seconds. The thing I like most,it has plenty on adjustment to fit over the layers, Under Amour, shirts, sweaters and etc.

Bill

Rick_W
11-18-2014, 11:46 PM
It depends on what I'm carrying and what I'm doing.

I'll carry either in a shoulder holster (.45 ACP) or pocket holster (.380 ACP or .38 Special).

sharpshooter
11-19-2014, 01:51 AM
So what's yer favorite walleye load? ;)

REDTAIL
11-19-2014, 10:17 AM
In the Cooler Weather.? I find that a Shoulder Holster is the way to go.?

BillPa
11-19-2014, 10:46 AM

Ain't every shooted any weirdeyes, but a 16ga splatter gun did a number on a white sucker!:p

Bill

Stockrex
11-19-2014, 01:37 PM
I would say 9mm plus p, I get about 18 inches of water penetration, when the eyes come up to nibble on the bag of chum and whack! :-)

Stockrex
11-19-2014, 01:44 PM
My nice new insulated Carhartt jacket has two interior pockets that are the perfect size for my little Kahr CW40 or my Ruger LCR. The other option would be a chest rig like Diamond D's Guides Choice (http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php) so you could get to it with just unzipping your jacket or coverall a little. You could actually wear the latter on the outside of your jacket as well.

I love the chest rig, well with my non-athletic gut that would stick out like a pregnant tummy with triplets in the 3rd trimester. I want to conceal and carrying outside is out.

I like the carrying in the pocket idea, I will have to dump the 40 and check if my sig p250 fits any of my jackets, I have carhartt jacket but it is just too heavy and gets heavier when the water spray from lake Michigan soaks it for hours.

Stockrex
11-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Ain't every shooted any weirdeyes, but a 16ga splatter gun did a number on a white sucker!:p

Bill

lol, I wonder if one can shot the Asian carps with a trap gun as they fly out of the water

Stockrex
11-19-2014, 01:48 PM
I use a Uncle Mikes vertical shoulder holster for my 4" 67 Smith. I'll unzip my jacket maybe 1/3" of the way down, reach in and its out in a few seconds. The thing I like most,it has plenty on adjustment to fit over the layers, Under Amour, shirts, sweaters and etc.

Bill
I tried it and I get neck pain from the straps, I wonder if they make one with wider shoulder straps?

Rick_W
11-19-2014, 06:12 PM
I tried it and I get neck pain from the straps, I wonder if they make one with wider shoulder straps?

I have tried a couple of Uncle Mike's shoulder holsters (the nylon ones) and found them quite uncomfortable.

I much prefer my leather Galco Miami Classic 2. All day comfortable including a few 1,000+ mile motorcycle rides.

missed
11-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Coats in the winter? You silly northerners! When I do actually have to wear a jacket or vest, I have a leather pocket holster that the rough side is on the outside. It stays in the pocket when I draw. I have one for my LCR and xds.

Stockrex
11-30-2014, 05:39 PM
I met my attorney over lunch last week and he was showing me his glock 42, now that is a small, slim pocket gun. I see how the carhartt jackets with large outside pockets will be good to carry. I guess I could keep my hand in my pocket like the man from u.n.c.l.e :-)

Rick_W
11-30-2014, 06:04 PM
I wanted the G42 but have not found one locally. Still want one but not sure if/when I'll get it.

Always said I'd never own a .380 but they do come in handy.

The S&W Bodyguard .380 shoots well and carries easily. It is double-action only and the trigger pull is VERY long. It is consistent though.

curlymaple42
12-01-2014, 06:36 PM
I carry a KelTec pf9 in my Carhartt coat inside pocket with a kydex trigger cover I made when I am out snowshoeing and ice fishing here in Maine. Pull pistol out, grab paracord loop and rip cover off. Safer than just sticking it in the pocket is all.