PDA

View Full Version : Building a 6BR, please check my parts list.

MDM
04-21-2010, 08:52 AM
I'm starting with a Stevens 200 stagger feed in .223 and I want to build a 6BR. (First build)

Please check my parts list and let me know if I am missing anything, or if I have something here that I do not need.

Parts List:
Barrel from NSS, Recoil lug from NSS
Medalist stock
SSS trigger, Tactical bolt from SSS, complete .473 bolt head from SSS - could I just swap bolt heads with someone in the Classifieds?
Barrel nut wrench
Go and No-Go gauges for 6br (Midway) I could save some money here if someone would let me borrow/rent a 6BR gauge set.:)
6BR brass and dies (Midway)

Missing anything? I plan on single feeding each round, so I didn't think I needed to mess with the mag/follower?

Nor Cal Mikie
04-21-2010, 08:56 AM
You can feed off the top of the mag but a single shot follower would be a nice addition. Get rid of the ejector rod and spring and you won't be chasing brass. Pick each piece off the bolt head. The rest of your list looks good.

trappst
04-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Add a single shot follower so you can just drop a round in and go.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=325484

You many also want to ask SSS for a standard size front baffle. Your 223 will have an extension on it to reduce the bolt travel to the rear. Although since you're doing a 6BR you may not need it. If you plan on using the heavy VLD type bullets, you might want it....I'd ask Fred about that.

Also, take a look at this thread if you want your rifle to eject the short BR case.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,15070.0.html

Seriously consider a wheeler action wrench. You'll be glad you did if that blued barrel is like some out there that just doesn't wanna budge.

Oh, and don't forget the bullets! :)

pdog06
04-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Oh, and don't forget the bullets! :)

And the 30gr(+1/-1) of Varget!!!

+1 on the action wrench. Maybe the best 50 I ever spent for swapping barrels.

MDM
04-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Good to go on the Varget and 107 MK's

Anyone have a set of Go/No Go gauges they want to rent me?

dieselten
04-21-2010, 10:51 AM
you don't need both gauges, just the go gauge. I would buy it just in case you ever want to remove and replace the barrel

Slowpoke Slim
04-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Yes, just get the go gauge. And for sure, get an action wrench, it makes the barrel swap really easy. You KNOW you're going to swap more barrels down the line...

You'll be glad you have it.

BTW, where abouts are you located? You may have a member that lives close by you that can come over with their action wrench/barrel nut wrench and show you how to get it done.

If you lived near me, I'd do it for free if you brought it to my shop. I don't have a go gauge for 6 br though.

82boy
04-21-2010, 10:04 PM
You will need something to hold either the barrel, or the action as you twist the nut wrench.
I would use the 223 baffle because the 6br is so short it just works better. I would use a single shot follower.

MDM
04-22-2010, 06:48 AM
I live near Cambridge, Ohio if anyone is experienced and wants to help with the barrel change. A very generous forum member has let me borrow his gauges.