PDA

View Full Version : New Guy: TNtomland

Tntomland
11-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Greetings everyone, I just joined the site and am very much looking forward to learning more about the Savage firearms I have, and have yet to acquire. I have been a Savage fan for many years and have recruited a few others into the community of Savage users along the way. I started my (serious) shooting career in he 70s, shooting on the Rock Island Arsenal small bore team and made annual trips to Camp Perry. I have many projects in mind including barrel, trigger and stock work and I'm hoping to find answers to some of my questions on all of these. I am also getting more into hand loading. I live in south central Tennessee on 32 acres with my wife, son and five dogs. This has been a blessing as I have been able to build my own range. In a previous life I was an Armor Officer, Army Aviator, Maintenance Test Pilot and Company Commander with a fair amount of deployed time. I'm looking forward to making to some new friends on this site and if there is anything I can do to help anyone out, just holler.
Best Regards
TNtomland

drybean
11-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Welcome to the site

223 4 me
11-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Welcome to the site Tenn. Tom! It just so happens that my wife and I are looking to buy a piece of property around the size of yours here in northern Ohio, not far from Camp Perry. I will be putting a range on the property as well depending on the lay of the land so to speak I hope to be a 1000 yards long. just curious how long is your range?

Rick_W
11-17-2014, 05:33 PM
Welcome - thank you for your service.

Tntomland
11-18-2014, 01:28 AM
Thanks all for replies. 223, how exciting it is have you're own dirt and enough to shoot on! The ranges I built include a 25 yd pistol range, a skeet range and a 200 yd rifle range. I wish I could stretch the distance but the land here is mostly woods and more vertical than horizontal so finding a piece suitable for long range is tough. If you're out there around CP, shouldn't have that problem. I bought a brand new New Holland 55hp 4wd Workmaster with a loader on it about three years ago and it was a total transformation. I dug out a couple hillsides to make the backstops and sunk cedar posts in concrete with the post hole digger for target boards and covered shooting benches. Materials basically cost me nothing, 50 bucks in concrete and about the same in plywood. Always looking to make improvements though. We've been toying with idea of a camera and monitor for the 200 yd range, I think that would pretty darn cool to spot rounds by looking at a flat screen. It's amazing how friends you make when you own a tractor and a range!

GaCop
11-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Welcome to the forums!

B52buff
11-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Welcome from NE Michigan and Thank You for your service!