PDA

View Full Version : Which new hunting rifle to get?

DT400
11-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Hi All
I have looked on the Savage website but using their search engine is useless. According to the search engine Savage does not offer a big game/30-06/ in stainless.
I know they do but am looking for suggestions from people in the know.

Requirements.
1) 30-06
2) stainless
3)NOT a plastic stock, don't want the flex or noise of a hollow stock. Not against replacing a plastic stock with an aftermarket wood/laminate if it is not cost prohibitive.
4)Prefer NOT a drop out magazine due to to many complaints of them not staying in place properly and thus not feeding the next round reliably. I like the drop out mag for convenience so if the issue has been addressed I would consider one. No blind mag.
5) Not concerned about an Acutrigger...can't feel the little tang with gloves on anyway and the trigger will be heavier due to the glove issue.

This rifle will be to replace my current Elk gun..IE rough use and very foul weather.

I would say 30-06, stainless and accurate (less than 1 MOA with hand loads) are the main concerns.

Not looking for the cheapest option, but a good gun. If I could assemble n accurate gun for cheap the better.

I am continuing to look but looking for input (pros/cons/thoughts) on people who can help me in my search.

Thank you

Darrell

sav250
11-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Specified to a t.
Have you considered other actions besides bolt?

jim_k
11-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Get an old worn-out Savage Model 110 in .30-'06 with a plastic stock and the old style trigger and old action screw spacing. Replace the barrel with a lightweight 24" Shilen Savage barrel (one in the factory contour), and re-stock with a Bell & Carlson from Stocky's Stocks for about $260. Bang - best rifle you'll ever own. The old trigger with the metal rod that fits in the detent is just great. Get someone to bed the action. Make sure the rear tang is floated, since both action screws in a Savage are forward of the trigger. Sounds like I have done the exact same thing?
Jim

jonbearman
11-16-2014, 07:34 PM
What you need is a 116 series with the laminate stock and fixed mag if they still make one. Call Jim at Northland shooters supply and he can tell you 1-763-682-4296

big honkin jeep
11-17-2014, 01:22 AM
I would say 30-06, stainless and accurate (less than 1 MOA with hand loads) are the main concerns.

If these are the main concerns any 116 new or old even those without the accutrigger or accustock will do nicely.
There is nothing wrong with the synthetic stocks, but it does get into some peoples head if they spend too much time reading BS, dwelling on it as the truth, and not shooting with them.
Been hunting with my 116 in 30-06 since 1996 and it's stupid accurate.

JCalhoun
11-19-2014, 10:55 AM
DT,

The model you are looking for is called a Model 116 BSS. This is the weather warrior series. All 116's are stainless and BSS stands for B-laminated wood, SS- stainless steel.