PDA

View Full Version : Savage age by s/n

scpaul
11-15-2014, 11:10 PM
I've looked everywhere on this site that that I could find trying to get more specific information. I bought a used rifle; model 116 with a "F" series s/n (F249xxx) and the most accurate info I can find is that the "F" series was split into 2 groups. After F4xxxxx it was made between 1985 and Nov. 1995 if I remember correctly (wrote it down and now can't find the note, wife cleaning? :ballchain:naaaaa). That info came from the Savage site and when I put my S/N in it says that they don't keep records prior to Xxxxxxx. Any other place that I could look? I have looked at some other places on the web but no help. Appreciate any help, Thanks, Paul :censored:

J.Baker
11-16-2014, 01:17 AM
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?263-Savage-Firearm-Dating

As for getting a specific date of manufacture, good luck! Best guess would be early 1990's considering sales were still fairly slow at that time.

scpaul
11-16-2014, 01:23 AM
Yea, that's about what I figure. Now that I went back and read the post I think that the dates should have been '89 - Nov. '95. Appreciate you clearing the double post, I thought I did it but when I looked it wasn't there. Have a good one, Paul

Mad Dog
11-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Made in June 1993, not real sure what you mean about splitting them in two groups though, nothing in my info that shows a split of any kind.

scpaul
11-28-2014, 01:55 PM
I am not sure where the info was but it said that from sometime in the in the late 70's or the early 90's was the 1st. section of the "F" series and starting in '85 there was the 2nd part of the "F" series. It didn't explane what or why the series was done that way. I'll try to remember to find it and fwd. the info. to you. If you havent heard anything in a wk. PM or E-Mail me, I have bad memory. Later, Paul

J.Baker
11-30-2014, 01:53 AM
Paul, you need to get your terminology correct as that's what causing the confusion. There is no "F" series. The "F" is just the S/N prefix letter and means nothing other than that's what they were using at the time. When you see someone refer to a "series" they're usually referring to a specific series letter referenced after the model number. I.E. Model 110 Series H. And for all intensive purposes the series designation means nothing to anyone because there's no record of what small parts changes were made to require a new series letter be designated for the model.

As for the F serial numbers being split into two groups, that has to do with the transfer of ownership of the company as it pertains to liability and warranty on the firearms. Savage Arms will not warrant, work on or supply parts for firearms made prior to s/n F498821 as that's officially where Ron Coburn's ownership took effect when he bought the company in 1995. It was part of the terms/conditions of the sale.

wingstrat28
12-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Hey guys I'm brand new to the forum and to savage. I will say I'm very pleased with my model 111 7mm mag. Just can't find the date for it. S/n F434*** thanks ahead if time

scpaul
12-25-2014, 09:41 PM
Thanks Jim, you are right about the "F" serial number prefix, sorry about the confusion. I also went back and read it again and saw an error on the dates. The early 90's should have been the early 80's. Thanks again everybody. Paul :hail:

Lone wolf 5575
01-02-2015, 08:38 PM
my s/n is 39xx on my 110 any idea on when it was made?