PDA

View Full Version : R5 rifling or standard rifling?

Protocol
11-15-2014, 07:46 AM
I have an opportunity to purchase a Savage limited run 10P with 5R rifling and oversized bolt handle or a Savage 10FP
with standard rifling. Both rifles are available in 20" barrels in .308 caliber. I am new to this and don't want to make a bad decision so I thought I would ask the experts. I am leaning towards the 10P, my only concern is after market stocks and how available after market parts are for a limited run firearm. I don't want to purchase something I cannot build up.

homefrontsniper
11-15-2014, 09:55 AM
someone here will help you . :)

barrel-nut
11-15-2014, 01:00 PM
The main thing that would limit you a little with the aftermarket stocks is that the 10P appears to have a detachable magazine, which requires a cutout in the bottom of the stock. There will not be as many aftermarket options as there are for rifles with a blind magazine, such as the 10FP. You really can't go wrong with either choice, it's just a question of what you want. If you like the stock on the 10P, give it a try. It may surprise you. The FP is a good choice too. I have one and have been very happy with it, although I did replace the stock.
As far as the concerns about the limited run, the actions should be the same, with the exception that the P comes with different bottom furniture and the detachable mag, and a bottom bolt release, which again limits your aftermarket options. All the straight-FP's I've seen come with a top bolt release, which has more aftermarket goodies available at this time.

darkker
11-16-2014, 05:42 PM
The barrel differences are 99% semantics.
So, the stock issue is what you should be (and seem to be) concerned with.

How mainstream do you want to be? Does absolute Max anything make you happy? Do you give a **** what anyone else thinks?
I've turned my 10FP into a nearly 20# monster and packed it across all north America for almost 2 decades. It isn't pretty, it isn't light, it isn't like anyone else's because it isn't.

Cheers